Friday, October 8, 2010

Time does not fly with 40 kids in the yard.

I mentioned here that Alex was going to have a little back yard bash for his birthday.  I think I also mentioned that I was not excited about it.  But I survived!  I'm a survivor!


First of all, time does not fly when you have about 40 teenagers in your yard.  I looked at the clock a minimum of 497 times in three and a half hours.  Well.  Make that four hours, because several kids accidentally showed up 1/2 hour early.


My biggest problem is worrying that something bad will happen to one of those maniacs under my watch.  Thankfully, only one kid got hurt.  Physically.  Not sure about emotionally, because with lots of teenage girls comes lots of drama, but I think everyone was pretty happy.  So one girl fell and had some bleeding, and crying, and got hovered over by a few other well-meaning *drama queens girls.  I neosporin-ed and band-aided her up pretty good and she got over it.  Hopefully her parents don't sue me.  At least I have a good attorney at my disposal. 



Also, I only heard of one making out incident.  Hey.  One out of forty hormonal kids isn't that bad!  I only had to send my husband out once to change inappropriate music on the ipod.  And only one girl accidentally ran into my screen door (subsequently breaking it).  She thought it was open.  She was mortified, poor thing.  She smacked into it so hard she bounced backward and almost fell off the porch.  My only question is, "Who walks into a house with such gusto?"


Just a tip - apparently, a lot of kids Alex's age think it's funny to smash cupcakes into each others faces at parties.  I'm guessing a lot of mothers do not think it's funny.  At all.  From this day forward, I am not frosting any cupcakes ever again.  Because let me tell you what a pain in the butt that is to clean up after.

     (yeah.  not so funny.)

One final thing.  If your kid is begging for an itouch or an xbox 360 or something equally expensive, just throw him a birthday party!  Kids these days give big money for presents!  Let me tell you, it's not the measly five bucks you gave when you were a kid either.  I was shocked.  Alex literally received $510. from friends at this party, and that doesn't include the actual presents from kids that he opened.  Yikes.  I guess inflation even hits in birthday parties, because I'm still only giving 10 or 15 bucks!  Who knew I was such a cheapskate??




I think I am going to throw myself a birthday party.  I could really use a new vacuum.  Wanna come over?

* ps - my own kid was a teen-age drama queen herself, so I get to make fun of those girls.  Since I had to suffer through the drama myself.  And now she is a drama/theater major in college!  Go figure!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you made it through this ordeal. It looks like the kids were having fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm only coming if you frost the cupcakes! ha! You are definitely a survivor. I'm exhausted from even reading this post!

    Brave, brave woman!

    Let me know when to show up for cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete