Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Don't you hate when people say muchly?

That is a HUGE pet peeve-word.  One that makes me grind my teeth together.  Actually, to such a degree that I have a jaw that pops out of joint with every bite I take.  But anyway.


When someone says, "Thanks muchly!"  I have the urge to smack.  Or at the very least lash out verbally.  But I hold it together and clench my jaw and smile.  Maybe even say, "You're welcome!"


Because I am all controlled and polite like that.


The thing is, MUCHLY isn't a word.  It isn't even a word!  So please don't say it all cheerful-ish!  Just don't even say it!  Everyone gets your sincerity when you just say, "Thanks!"  I promise.  There is no need to accentuate it with a fake word.  A fake word that is dumb even.  Until I see it in Websters, I will not recognize it.  Probably I will not recognize it then even, because it really is that irritating.


If only for my sanity.  And my jaw.  Please don't say it.  It's just not right.

5 comments:

  1. I say, and type, "much appreciated" when I'm thankful at times. Hopefully that passes the muster, so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if I've ever heard anyone say this! I guess I don't get out much. That or maybe I was so befuddled by the phrase it went in one ear and out the other. "Irregardless," is one that drives me nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first read it, I read "mulch." I had to read it again to figure out the "muchly" part. But yeah, that's weird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Lisa -- I am with you on irregardless!!!
    LOL Erin --that's funny!

    ReplyDelete