Friday, October 22, 2010

30 Day Challenge - Day Three

Question numero three: (do you like how I mix my vast and superior knowledge of Spanish and English to form a quasi Spanglish intro?)

Who was your first love?

Hm.  My first puppy love (isn't that dumb?  puppy love?  I don't know what else to really call it though, so it stays) was a boy named Chris Fausel and he was in Mrs. Halle's fifth grade class with me.  Mrs. Halle was horrible.  She called all of us "Dish-gushting individuals," and we laughed when she fell down playing kickball.  We tormented her.  She threw erasers at us.  We made her cry.  She made us go to the Principal's office.  She had really short cropped fire-engine red hair and pretty much must have hated her life with my naughty class.  So anyway, I was 100% positive that Chris and I were going to someday be married and he and I would have two kids named Christopher and Chelsea. (I swear)  He would be a doctor and I would be a nurse. (seriously, really)

Anyway, me and Chris were "going out" from like fifth grade through sixth grade.  I have no idea what he saw in me, because I was a pudgy, flat-haired turned frizzy-permed kid who wore knickers and embroidered sweaters and was pretty much a naughty brat.  So "going out" in fifth grade basically meant you were in the same class, occasionally passed notes, and met every so often for pizza and Pac-Man at The Deli (the pizza place that was walking distance in town) or the Short Stop (the candy/ice cream store that was in walking distance in town).

I'm not sure when our relationship went awry.  All I remember is that we wrapped up sixth grade and once we started 7th, we were rarely in the same classes and never in homeroom or had lockers together.  He was an F and I was a W.  The alphabet tore us apart.

So nowadays, Chris is a very successful Pharmacist (a Dr! I knew it!) out in the mid-west.  I don't really think I have seen him since high school ended.  Our parents were always friends, and still are, so I still get occasional updates.   Apparently Chris' "specialty(?)" is in Cancer Meds, and he really helped my dad out when he was fighting colon cancer a few years back, which meant a lot to me.  

Chris was always a great guy.  He wrote me my very first love note.  I actually have decided to post it for your viewing pleasure.  Because I knew exactly where it was in my box of saved junk.  And who else but me would know exactly where a note from 30 years ago fifth grade was?  I hope Chris doesn't mind.

ps - what "we did Saturday" was go to the deli with another boy and girl from our class and get pizza.  I totally remember it. 

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my favorite posts! I love the description of your teacher! You're hysterical!

    ReplyDelete