Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Y'all

I kind of wish I could say "y'all" in conversation and sound convincing.  I mean, it sounds so cute coming out of someone's mouth, you know?

But if I ran into a couple of friends in the local grocery store and just said something like, "So what are y'all doing tonight?"  I'd have to say it with a southern twang or something because you just have to, and I know it would totally sound ridiculous in the cold section of the Grand Union.  Or any section for that matter.  Coming from a real live New Yorker who isn't wearing a cowboy hat, it just would not be authentic.  I am positive.

(fyi, if you ever happen to google "girl in a cowboy hat," just be prepared to shield your kid's eyes.  Apparently, girls who wear cowboy hats also like to be naked.)

When I moved out to Colorado years back, I met a group of kids who totally picked up on my NY accent, like immediately.  So much for just quietly sliding in under the radar.  I obviously never knew I had any sort of accent, never really having been too far from home.  Their accent to me was way more subtle and chill.  I actually really came to like the Western accent and sort of gradually blended in for a while there, softening up my own tone of voice some.

Where a New Yorker would pronounce the words "ball and talk" as "bawl and tawk," someone from CO would pronounce them as "bahl and tahk."  I think it was pretty glaring when I first moved there.  Funny memories of sitting at this place, conveniently called NY Pizza Boys (nothing like a NY pizza, right?), and my new friends totally teasing me about my heavy accent and imagining that all of NY was the "city."  I think  a lot of mid-westerners think that way actually.

City New Yorker's definitely have a heavier accent than us upstate folksAnd we totally live among farms and lakes and mountains and rivers - no skyscrapers or smog or lights and noise all night upstate.

You know, I without a doubt can go far, far off topic when I just free write.  That didn't just occur to me, by the way.  This is definitely something that I am aware of but cannot help.  I am a long talker.  As long as I am not a close talker, I am OK with that.  (sorta)

Close talkers make me very uncomfortable.

2 comments:

  1. I love hearing other people's accents. Of course, when I realize the things that come out of my mouth occasionally I am horrified.

    (P.S. Did you get my e-mail? Just curious.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's surprising the number of accents you pick up on throughout the country. When I was younger I always thought there were just two, southern, and everyone else. ;)

    ReplyDelete