Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Thank Cod it's Election Day

THANK COD it's Election Day!!

I am so tired of political literature and political commercials and political phone calls and political messages on my answering machine.  However, I did appreciate the personal phone call from both President Obama and Bill Clinton.  Did any of you guys get those calls?

I thought it impressive that both of them took the time out of their busy schedules to work the phones.  I saved the messages on my machine even.  My daughter was like, "Oh my gosh Mom!  The President called us!!  Wait til I tell Gracie!!"  Oh, I didn't burst her bubble, she was just too excited.

You know, I really value the way our country works, and I am so appreciative of the fact that we can vote without fear and we can elect people to represent our voices.

My problem is the fact that it seems the only way that the majority of these politicians feel that they can get ahead is by stepping all over their opponent, by bashing and bad-mouthing their opponent.  Like, why can't someone just try to win on their own merit?

I mean, don't tell me about what the other guy did -- tell me what you can do.  Tell me what you have done.  Tell me your views and opinions and thoughts.  I promise you that people will at least respect the guy who takes the high road, whether they agree with what the candidate stands for or not.

I hate politics, and it's funny, because my husband is an elected official, and has been for the last ten years.  Besides being involved locally in the Town, he represents our county and state as well.  We've hosted dinner parties for some of those big-wigs, attended and worked the rallies, my kids were in a commercial with Hillary.  My husband personally knows these senators and congressmen/women.  I really do my best to fade out of that whole scene.  It's so not my thing.  I actually make a terrible politician's wife.

I am surrounded by this stuff on a daily basis, so I definitely have a little bit of insider knowledge about how it all really works.  My husband told me that sadly, the truth is that smear campaigns are actually proven to work.  That slamming your opponent and twisting their words actually plants enough of a seed of doubt in people's minds to change their minds.

I think that stinks.  I refuse to be a part of that. 

Everyone knows that you will never be able to please the masses.  There will always be people who are unhappy with you for some reason or another.  But I say if you do right and do good by the majority of your constituents, your opponent won't have anything bad to say about you.  If you can't win clean, it's not a win in my book. 
best font size

1 comment: