Monday, April 11, 2011

It's not me, it's you. Online dating shocker.



So about online dating.


I was talking with someone this weekend who is currently doing the online dating thing and has had the most hysterical, disgusting and scary stories about her experiences.  She typically goes on several dates a week, and so far so bad pretty much.


She has met some nice guys, no keepers, but it seems like the majority of them are players, looking for a quick hook up.  In fact, just last week she went on a lunch date with someone -- first date -- they had a nice lunch and good conversation. He was driving her back to work when all of a sudden, he unzipped his pants and sort of took out his business.  Right there, as he was driving.  First of all,  Who does that???!  And secondly, how did he manage to maneuver himself in such a way that it was even comfortably possible?  I mean, I know I have been out of the dating scene for like, fifteen years or so, but that can't be the norm these days.  I don't care how many dates we've been on, if you are going to expose yourself to me like a perv, it's pretty much a deal breaker.  Like immediately.


He seemed a little surprised when she asked him to put his business back where it belonged, and then even more shocked when she emphatically told him she was not even remotely interested in hooking up.  I'm kind of curious to know if that approach has ever worked for him before.  And when she told me this story, I was a little afraid for her life because that scene just reeks of serial killer.


I've suggested she write a blog detailing her crazy experiences.   And trust me, this story is just the tip of the iceberg.  

She's strong, funny, fun, sociable, attractive -- actually a great person all around.  She started the online dating stuff because after a divorce, she moved far from home to a town where she knew pretty much a tiny handful of people.  She is sociable, and having friends and hanging out is important to her.  It just seems so hard to meet nice, mature people in a "normal" environment these days.

So anyway, I think she should quit the online dating stuff.  It's definitely been great fodder - and great to laugh at her and also with her about the oh so awkward situations she has ended up in, but I have to admit I am a little scared for her life.

7 comments:

  1. I met my husband online. He was the third guy I went out with, after being online for only 2 weeks. The first guy was such a weirdo. The second guy was really nice, but no sparks.

    It was love at first sight for Adam, obviously. How could he have turned away *this?*

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's totally creepy. Maybe she should consider carrying a knife with her---if it gets cut off, they can't whip it out anymore. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is pretty funny. I know the feeling though. Chicks are always flashing me in the car.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure there are all sorts of crazies on dating websites.

    Then again, there are crazies in the real world so...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That reminds me that I just read that Lorena Bobbitt recently moved to Russia to escape the notoriety in the U.S. and she changed her name. Now she's Lorena Kutzyurcokoff.

    Sorry, only limited opportunities to use that line and this was one of them...

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. I'm kinda not sure why you don't have a thousand readers.

    2. Yes, her experiences are kind of more normal than not. However,

    3. I met my husband online.

    4. So did two of my aunts. And my uncle met his wife that way. And two of my girlfriends met their husbands that way. So,

    5. It can work. She just has to use her common sense.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I met my late fiance online and have been on several online dating sites but no dates. Her experiences sound like what mine would be if I did say yes to a date from one of the guys who "What up?"ed me. I was thinking about blogging about some of the pervs/creepers/hobbits that contacted me even.

    Please tell your friend not to get in the car with men she just met....remind her of Stranger Danger please. It's a horror movie waiting to happen otherwise and now I'm scared for her and I don't even know her.

    ReplyDelete