Tuesday, April 12, 2011

I know about Fletch, but I never did see it.

Want to hear a shameful flaw?


I never watched The Princess Bride.




I'll pause while you gasp and/or fall off of your chair.  Done?  OK then.


Oh, I attempted it back in the day.  I'm not sure exactly what threw me off.  My boyfriend at the time tried to get me to watch it, I'm sure I was too distracted with making out or something, now that I think about it.


But there are a bunch of apparently "must see" movies that I never did watch that I get crap for all of the time.  Like Ghostbusters.  I do however, know the theme song.  Another big one is Fletch.



Ah.  I'm ashamed and appalled too.  Trust me.  Fletch is like one of the best Chevy Chase movies ever apparently.  I'm pretty sure that I saw a scene here or there, but never sat down and watched the whole thing.  Speaking of Chevy Chase, I also never watched any of the Vacation movies, or Caddyshack.  Shocking and tragic, I know.

Every single Christmas, my husband acts as appalled as he did the first time he found out that I never saw any of the Christmas classics, like A Christmas Carol, or Miracle on whatever Street or It's a Wonderful Life.  Or Scrooge.  In my defense, I did watch all of the cartoon Christmas classics.  I mean Rudolph, Frosty, The Grinch, Charlie Brown... that definitely has to count for something.

One of these days I am going to rent a pile of those must haves and just watch until I get sick of watching.  That's going on my bucket list.

6 comments:

  1. This makes me weep for you.

    I used to watch it when I was really young, and living in California. The only people I know who watched it were Mormons, so I thought Wesley was Mormon, and we were going to get married to each other. It was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really MUST watch Princess Bride! But I haven't watched most of those others either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get this reaction over not seeing "Citizen Cane." I have very pretentious friends. And I probably missed it because I was on my 187th viewing of The Goonies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jess, you may know this, but courses on "Fletch" are taught in all the Ivy League colleges these days because of the deep and meaningful life lessons imparted by the subtle humor and complex plot. Also, it's actually based on some of the greatest theories in the history of philosophy.

    Psyche, no it's not, I just made that up!!! But it is pretty funny. Get on it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's the matter with you!!? Classic comedies and movies with countless lines to repeat you must watch include: Princess Bride, Caddyshack, Animal House, Vacation, Blues Brothers, Stripes, Bull Durham, Fletch, Monty Python flicks, Airplane, Raising Arizona, The Jerk, Midnight Run, and the Austin Powers movies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never seen the Princess Bride either...I have been told my my man that I HAVE to soon. All the others, yep...I've seen them!

    ReplyDelete