Friday, April 15, 2011

Chest bump! Is that inappropriate?

Did you ever wonder why basketball players smack each other on the butt when they make a good play?  I mean, is it in the basketball handbook?  Because it's pretty much as common as a layup.  (See that??  Did you see me make a basketball reference guys?  I'm so sporty.)

But really, back to the ass smacking.  Really?  Why is this necessary?  Like imagine if you did a good job on a presentation at work, and instead of shaking your hand or something, everyone smacked your ass on the way out the door of your office. 

Do you think it's like a camaraderie thing?  Like, "You're my boy BLUE." *ass smack*

Maybe it's a sports thing?  Except funny, it doesn't seem to happen in baseball.  Or football.  Does it?  Maybe it does and I just missed it.  Because I watch sports all of the time.  ::snort::

I also don't get the whole chest bump thing.  You jump up and simultaneously bump chests and that supposed to mean... what?  We're so cool?  I have to admit that it does take a little coordination to simultaneously jump and bump, you know, and get it right the first time.  Wouldn't it be funny if chest bumpers missed?  Like if one of you jumped a little before the other one and then instead of a chest bump, someone got a chest to chin bump?  That might be a little awkward.  And definitely wouldn't exactly scream, "We're so cool."  It might actually scream, "We're so lame."

I'm partial to the fist pump.  You know, in case you were wondering. 

There's no real point to this post, actually.  So I apologize if you were waiting for a point to appear at the end.  Just don't smack my butt if you think it's supreme quality writing.  K?  K.

3 comments:

  1. I'd say the most ass smacking is in baseball. I play hoops once a week and it's a little more rare for 40+ aged recreational players to do that, but it does happen. The thing is, we are man enough to do it without thinking anything of it. But men and women can't do it to each other - instant harrassment lawsuits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. I have seen it a lot in football as well. I seriously don't understand that. But then again, I don't understand urinals either. Somethings are better left unexplained..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think they do it because they just can't hug it out like us girls do. They might as well hug. Really seems a bit more appropriate than butt smacking to me, anyway!

    ReplyDelete