Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Last but certainly least

OK, let's all thank Cod and Baby Jesus that this is the last Easter-ish post I am writing.  Yes, I do think it's appropriate to thank both of them, because it was Easter after all.

So, in my lengthy detailed yapping about my great Easter weekend, I left off with the coloring of the eggs.  Unfortunately, it was all down hill from there.


See, after we colored eggs, everyone was milling about, kids were playing miscellaneously in different areas of the house, adults were congregating in the family room, chatting and watching some game on TV simultaneously.  And then it happened.


THE UNTHINKABLE.


We lost Nanny.


Oh.  Em.  Gee.  We lost Nanny!


I'll just remind any new readers that Nanny isn't my cute little grandma.  Well wait, Nanny was my cute little grandma, and she still is, but that Nanny is up in Heaven.  So we did not lose that Nanny.  We lost the Nanny that is Brooke's blankie.


So here's the thing.  Brooke has had Nanny since she was a baby.  She is irreplaceable because (notice I called Nanny a she.  Apparently, she is a girl.  Ask Brooke.) a) over the years I have not been able to find a replacement to have just in case, and believe me I have tried, and b) after many years of love and washing and just being dragged around, she has been reduced to a jumble of strings, so there's no way to recreate her, and c) well maybe there is no real c, but, oh man, we lost Nanny!


And let me tell you, it's a pretty BFD.  (bfd= big effing deal)  Brooke carries Nanny with her everywhere. 



She rides to school in the van every day, and waits all day in the front seat til we go pick her up. 



She accompanies Brooke outside to play in the yard,



she joins us at the pool. 





She is always there for the little unplanned naps.



And of course, she sleeps in Brooke's bed, snugly wrapped up in her little fingers.  When Brooke needs a moment, to chill out or just to wind down, Nanny helps her do it.  She isn't allowed in the bathroom, or inside stores, but besides that, Nanny is always with us.


This is the last known picture of Nanny, which was taken the day before Easter by Brooke.   Because Nanny is really her BFF, and Brooke takes a lot of pictures of her.


Nanny has been reduced to a blue tangle of strings.  And that is exactly how Brooke likes her.  She likes the strings.  And she thinks that one of the snarls of string is her face.  Seriously.  Nanny also has arms.  Just saying.


In the chaos and craziness of the day, she got lost somewhere in this very house.  Which is the good news.  But let me tell you, we tore the place up and down.  We looked in all of the random spots something could get lost.  We scoured the playroom, bedrooms -- every room -- floor to ceiling.  She is nowhere to be found.  We have never lost her before.  That right there has to give you some indication of how important that tangle of blue strings is to Brooke.



Anyway, I was smart enough to cut a chunk off of Nanny a few years back, and we keep "Fake Nanny" as a back up.  The thing is, she isn't nearly as stringy as Real Nanny, so Brooke really barely accepts it.  She did sleep with Fake Nanny, and she has been playing with her, and she said Fake Nanny might have a face.

Even though Brooke has still been looking everywhere and saying she wants Real Nanny back, I snagged a picture of her yesterday, snuggling Fake Nanny on the front lawn.



I hope it will be good enough.

B is for Brooke's Blankie. =(
Jenny Matlock

13 comments:

  1. Oh the panic ever parent feels when that special something can't be found!!!

    I hope she turns up soon, for everyone's sake

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! That would have been disastrous here. Breezy is 26 and married and STILL has Dolly- a rag doll I made for her when she was 2. Deanie is 24 and STILL has blankie- since birth that thing has been with her. Birdie is 23 and STILL has Pookie- which was also her dad's bear when he was a boy. And DoodleBug, who is 19, STILL has Buddy Bear- whom she got for Christmas when she was 3.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My little grandson has a pair of red pajamas that he does the same thing with. I don't know if any of us would survive if they disappeared!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no, that's terrible! Fortunately she was lost IN the house and it's a good thing you have a "Fake Nanny" back up (smart mom!). I hope you'll find Brooke's Nanny again soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, how sad! My 4 year old carried a fleece blanket for quite a while. We had to wean him off of it because he wore it on his head like Linus, even in the middle of summer (in TX) and we were afraid he was going to have a heat stroke. He still knows exactly where it is though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in love with a child who loves that Nanny...I have one about to leave her college who will likely take her "Kin" with her. Hope you find it! Happy AlphabeThursday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How scary to lose Nanny!!! You were smart to have a backup. Hopefully you'll find the real one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no! I hope you find real Nanny very soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You were so smart to save a fake Nanny. I hope you find the real one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are one smart lady. A backup piece of blanket. Why didn't I think of doing that many years ago. I can totally relate to how important that blanket is to the entire family. My youngest son had Big Bird. It was a blanket with Big Bird on it, so we always called it Big Bird. The whole family would panic when Big Bird went missing. Any time he cried he had to have Big Bird immediately. He couldn't suck his thumb without Big Bird and if he couldn't suck his thumb he couldn't get to sleep. Finally, one day he gave Big Bird up. It was his idea and I packed Big Bird away and I still have that ragged blanket thirty years later. It's stored in a box on the top shelf of my closet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, my heart hurts! Thank heavens you planned a back-up.

    Our middle Grand has a blanket called "Nonnie" that I have sewn so many patches on that it is ridiculously heavy.

    Your daughter is so precious. I'm hoping the impostor gives her some comfort!

    Thanks for linking.

    A+

    ReplyDelete
  12. cheerful Easter time on top.

    sorry for the lose of Nanny,,

    ReplyDelete
  13. WAIT!!! WHERE DID YOU FIND NANNY?!? I need closure!!! Did you have any pics of Nanny before she became a tangle of strings?

    ReplyDelete