Friday, August 20, 2010

Don J and a few dumb things

Have you ever said something that you meant to be innocent and it came out ALL wrong?


Back when the little kids were really little, I owned and operated a pre-school.  This couple that I had never met before signed up their daughter, and I really liked them.  They were transplants, as us locals call anyone not born and raised in our dinky little one-light country town.

Anyway, when I first met them, I was a little intimidated by them for some reason.  Don, the husband, reminded me a bit of my B-i-L John, as they are both Long Island boys and had the same way about them.  He is very straightforward, lets just say, which always has a way of getting me flustered.  His wife Raina seemed smart and educated, but also came off like she wouldn't take any crap.

Not that I was handing out crap or anything.  But yeah, I was intimidated by them.

So anyway, as I got to know them, I really liked them -- they were really nice.  Except Don is a kisser.  He works away from home every other 6 weeks or so, and when he'd come back, he'd be the one to drop off and pick up his daughter from pre-k.  So pretty much every time he'd get back from working his 6 week run, he'd greet us warmly and go in for a smooch.  Cheek kiss of course.  So one day when that happened, I for some reason turned my face and ended up getting a mouth kiss.  Let's just say I was mortified.  And not just because I had coffee breath.  When I saw Raina later, I had to explain that I didn't mean to try to make out with her husband at pre-school. Ugh.  They all seemed to think it was pretty funny.

Another time, my sister Ali (who worked for me at the time) and I were standing there chatting about these fun games we had been playing lately, like board games.  We were loving Taboo and Scrabble and stuff.  We were thinking about planning a get-together with some friends to have a game night, and we decided that we'd invite Don and Raina.  So anyway, Don comes in, and I casually say to him, "We were wondering if you wanted to come over and play some adult games sometime."

As soon as the words came out of my mouth, I could feel my face turn bright red and Ali burst out laughing.  Don of course made some witty remark while I silently hoped a flash flood would come and carry me somewhere far, far away.  Of course I stammered some dumb thing about "No!  Not ADULT games!   You know, like games that are only for ADULTS!"  

Yeah, that didn't sound any better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment