Thursday, August 26, 2010

cellos, baritones and marching band

I so wish I could play the cello.



That is going to be on my bucket list.  Come to think of it, I need to make a bucket list.  And a will.

What's that you say? Your husband isn't even an attorney and YOU have a will?  Interesting.

Maybe since I am going to have hours of alone time when the kids go to school, I could take cello lessons!

Ah, I probably won't be able to find an instructor, I remember when Kara was little and I wanted her to play the violin.  Of course they didn't offer that at our school, so she had to settle for the sax.  And the piano.  But I still wish she had violin in her repertoire.


my horn!  well, not my horn, but this is just what it looked like.

When I was in high school, I played the ULTRA COOL Baritone horn.  Looks like a little tuba.  Yeah, I was all that.  Actually though, it was kind of cool because I was always the only baritone player in my band, so I got to go to All County and All State every year.  Anything to get out of class, right?  And I was the only girl baritone player that I ever met, which was just great because I stood right out in a crowd.  A crowd of band geeks. [band geek or not, I loved band] Even cooler, when I lived in Colorado for a year, I marched in the marching band for a semester.  Oh, I was TERRIBLE at marching.


1987 me [with my cousin Seth] in my marching uniform.  Man, I look young.

All of the other kids had been marching since 9th grade, and I never had to learn to memorize music while walking and making formations!  I am the least coordinated person I know!  Besides that, I can't see well out of one eye, and you always had to be eyeing the person next to you so you were in line, and oh.  Let's just say that it was bad.  My school in CO was huge - Cherry Creek - it was kinda like a small college, and the marching band was in serious competitions.  I can remember watching video of us competing and me being SO CLEARLY OUT OF FORMATION.  That is my worst nightmare.  An actual video showing how klutzy and uncoordinated I am/was for all the world to see.  Poor Mr. Selby.  He must have wished I never showed up in the band hall that fateful day.

I don't think the cello is geeky.  I am going to look for an instructor.

4 comments:

  1. Just to answer your question...you will find chili beans at the store...next to the kidney beans! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW...I played the accordian at school. hated it. my parents made me. i always wanted the piano. my eldest plays the guitar...she's really good at it too.

    learn the cello! it will make you happier, trust me! I think happiness comes from learning new things.

    glad i found you from java's follow friday. take care. have a good weekend.

    http://australianinathens.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to learn to play...cello, piano...but I enjoy listening and dance!
    I still listen Guns and Roses by the way... :)

    Have a great weekend!

    Follow Friday 40 and over greetings from Casablanca, Morocco...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I played the baritone in band, too, but I'm sure it was almost a decade before you did. We're trailblazers for women everywhere! And hey, my husband won the Betty Crocker award in high school (thought it was sexist that they said "all girls" could apply), so it's all good.

    ReplyDelete