Tuesday, August 3, 2010

east hampton


Alex and I went to East Hampton this weekend for a party thrown by the managing partner in his firm.  We have been invited to this party for the past several years, and Alex loves to go.

Me, I panic.

I am all fine up til the day we leave, then I mentally freak out that I am going to sound like a dumb bell standing next to all of those attorneys.  Nobody has ever made me feel small, in fact, all of his colleagues have always gone out of their way to be kind to me.  It's during those type of events that I wish I could fade into the backround, and I typically keep quiet and just observe. 

The house is really neat, and they always put on a great party.  Food was just fantastic - there was a fresh tuna salad with avocados that I would have had no shame in stuffing in a zip-loc baggie. If only I thought ahead and put one in my pocket, I would have noshed on it all the [long, drawn out traffic-y] way home.  OMG.  It was so great, and it wasn't tuna like from a can.  It was really real tuna -- from the ocean.  I need to find a recipe for that asap.  The cook said he just whipped it up on the spot, so I am thinking it may be a tough find.  But I am ON IT, and I will let you know if I track it down.

Anyway, we stayed outside of the Hampton's overnight, just because it was a pretty long drive, and we knew we'd stay at the party for a while.  We had a lot of time in the car to just chat and listen to music.  It was nice.  Pretty much every other car we passed probably cost about as much as my house.  I didn't even mind the traffic, however Alex was uncharacteristically cranky about it, because he uncharacteristically cared a lot that we were going to be late. 

His boss Kenny sort of made a big deal when we arrived, and introduced him as the newest partner in the firm.  He was all cute and proud and happy.  They all told a lot of stories about when Alex was a lowly runner for the firm, starting out as an 18 year-old freshman in college.  Kinda cool that he worked his way up to being partner of one of the top firms in the US.

Kinda really cool.

4 comments:

  1. I think a party with all attorney's might be quite boring. I am a new visitor and follower from Over 40 FF.
    Your children are beautiful. I hope when you have the chance you will stop over to say hello..
    doreenmcgettigan.blogspot.com/ they say everyone has a story...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this an actual picture of the cottage? It is breathtaking. I wish I could see the area in person.

    My husband lived in Hawaii for five years, and he loves fresh tuna. He even eats it very rare, like completely raw in the middle. I can't get myself to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to your husband! How awesome that he has worked his way up through the firm like that. And that sandwich sounds delish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I can't help feeling out of my element! Thanks for stopping by! :) Erin, I can only thank Google for that pic, because I FORGOT MY CAMERA! Accidentally left it at the hotel and was rather annoyed with myself. THANK YOU Ro -- I am very proud of him. :)

    ReplyDelete