Sunday, August 15, 2010

Saturday Centus - I listened to them cry...

I have been reading this blog for a bit now, and been loving Jenny Matlock's Saturday Centus weekly themes - these are themed writing memes.  She gives the writing prompt, and you write 100 words or less and link it to her blog.  Guess I'll give it a shot...

I listened to them from my perch on the top step and didn't know whether to laugh or to cry...



Laugh because in reality, the thought of his leaving again was just so… predictable. Cry because, well, it hurts. It hurts that not one of us are worth his staying.


Cerra, blessed with his dark curls and pouty lips, Ruthie who longs for his attention, who thinks he hung the moon all by himself.


Little girls need their Daddies. They need someone to tuck them in at night snug as a bug, someone to squash the spiders and kiss their hurts away.


They talk in hushed tones in the privacy of their bedroom. Mother’s muffled sob escapes under the crack of the closed door.


He’s leaving.




10 comments:

  1. Really fine take on the prompt. If only parents knew all the little secrets their kids overhear. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are joining us! Your story is a much needed reminder of the importance of words and actions in a child's mind. So many kids suffer the actions of their parents. Nice story.

    Malisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica.

    My.

    This was wonderful. My favorite line is "It hurts that not one of us are worth his staying."

    You so poignantly portrayed the feeling that so many of us have in failed relationships.

    I am really impressed with your writing skills.

    And I am really impressed that you linked up.

    We are all the better for you sharing your talents!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Powerful and well written. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this was so heartbreaking. I would imagine though this is exactly how it goes when people are going to separate. You did an amazing job on this. Good Centus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sad. I wish that every kid had a daddy to tuck them in every night and kill all the spiders.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder if he'd stay and try if he knew how the kids felt?

    Wonder if they'd both try harder?

    I doubt it. When a relationship fails, the adults close in upon themselves for a while, and the kids are kind of left hanging to figure out why he's gone, and what happens to them now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great 'true to life' writing. Pretty deep. Glad you went for it:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great take on this prompt. I could feel all the emotions in the pit of my stomach.

    ReplyDelete