Friday, August 6, 2010

why is my food so appealing?

I hate sharing my food.


I'll go ahead and make myself a monster salad loaded with veggies, just the way I like it, and I will set myself up with a big glass of ice water and lemon, and a little bowl of watermelon, and inevitably, someone will walk by and want a bite.  Or more.  And they well dip their little greedy fingers into my watermelon.  And they will stand there and look pitiful til I give something up.


When I was a kid, my mom had to force us to eat salad and healthy stuff.  Why is what I have so appealing?  My sister Jen makes up a huge bowl of cooked broccoli and cauliflower for lunch, and it's like she's the Pied Piper.  The kids start coming out of the woodwork to beg for a few bites as soon as they hear the microwave beep.


Really?  Cooked broccoli and cauliflower??  Again, when I was little, I would give that stuff away to the dog under the table, or wrap it in a napkin and pretend I ate it.  Like, unless I picked it and ate it raw from the garden it was not getting in my belly.

How come my kids aren't begging me for candy bars and ice cream?  (well, besides Brooke and the cavity in her tooth I mean)


I love that my kids like the healthy stuff, don't get me wrong.  But I don't want to share my food.  I'm happy to make them food of their own, but I don't want to give up a bite of my own.  

Is that mean? 

I never get to be selfish.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment