Thursday, August 12, 2010

Party fillers and party makers



My brother in law John has a theory about successful parties.  He believes that there are only two kinds of people invited to parties, the Party Fillers and the Party Makers.

The fillers are just what they sound like -- they are the people who make the party look big and full.  Their only purpose is to mix with the makers and to make a party look good to outsiders.  The MAKERS are the all important, vital partiers that are the key to making a get-together a big success.

If I am a maker, it is only because I ride in on the coat tails of my husband, sisters and their husbands.  Unless of course Drunk Jessee shows up, or as she is fondly referred to: DJ.  DJ makes very rare appearances, maybe once every few years or so.  Sort of like the Loch Ness Monster or Bigfoot.  When she shows up, she is definitely a maker.  DJ is not a wall flower.  She is known to be a close talker, a snitch in the inappropriate side and often times a bit too loud and forthcoming.  DJ does not dance on the tables or anything of that nature, but I have heard that she can be the life of the party, especially because she only shows every once in a blue moon.


Sometimes I get invitations for DJ.  The last time DJ showed up to a party, she accidentally drank a large pitcher of Mojitos and could possibly have actually thrown up a little for the first time in 20+ years, but I am not positive.  I also heard a rumor that she was a bit incoherent, and may have sounded like she was hitting on her good [girl] friend that she has known since Kindergarten, even though it was all totally taken out of context.  I'm not exactly sure how that all went down, as I wasn't really there.

Luckily her husband had the good sense to drag her out of there before things got out of hand.

Personally, I prefer being a filler.  Nothing embarrassing ever happens when you are a filler.

No comments:

Post a Comment