Thursday, March 31, 2011

Meredith Grey and I have a lot in common. But not really.

I totally forgot to put make-up on yesterday.  And I went all the way to Alex's ortho appointment like that.  With just moisturizer on my face.  Out in public for all the world to see. 

The day before that, I forgot to put on deodorant, and I realized it when I was glancing around the checkout aisle at the grocery store trying to figure out who had a less than fragrant armpit, and it occurred to me that it was me.  It was my armpit that was less than fragrant.  Out in public for all the world to smell.

And then last week, I messed up my entire shower routine.  Like you know how you get in the shower, wash your face, then wash your body, then wash your hair?  Well, I totally screwed up and started washing my hair first.  Then I was like, well now how am I going to make this right?  How am I supposed to wash my face after my hair?  What if my facial scrub gets in my hair then I have to re-wash?  Gah!

It was quite a dilemma.

The point is guys, I am pretty sure I have early onset Alzheimer's.  Like Meredith Grey.  Of Grey's Anatomy.  And that is nothing to joke about.  All of the forgetting stuff was why I was thinking that Meredith Grey and I have a lot in common then I remembered that I'm not a doctor.  And I don't live in Seattle with a brain sugeon with lustrous black hair and a bunch of my medical student friends that seem to have a ton of crazy sex everywhere in the world.  And I definitely am not a skinny twig with an oddly shaped face.  But I was thinking why else have I been so forgetful?

I guess it could be that I am tired and have been sleeping kind of bad.  I have had a sick kid or sick husband every week for what seems like a lot of weeks in a row.  And their sickness involved them thoughtlessly noisily hacking up a lung all night long.  Even after lots of good anti-hack meds.  I would have taken a few choice meds myself, but then my mom ears would be off, and I need my mom ears on in case anyone cries or falls out of bed.

Alex never wakes up when someone cries or falls out of bed.  Well, actually, he is really good at pretending he didn't wake up.  Then the next morning when he hops out of bed all chipper and well rested, he's like, "Oh you were up eleventeen times with Brooke last night??  You're such a great mother.  Why do you look like you're going to stab me in the eyeball with a fork?"

And then I stifle my urge to stab him in the eyeball with a fork.

So I have it narrowed down to either (a) I have early onset Alzheimer's, (b) I'm just exceptionally tired, or (c)  I'm not very young anymore.  And the truth is, people get a little forgetful when they aren't very young anymore.

Young = remembering to put on your makeup, remembering your deoderant and remembering how your shower routine has gone for your entire life.

Y is for forever Young.

Jenny Matlock

22 comments:

  1. I think you're just tired. And a good mom! {:-Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. i get a wee bit resentful when my husband uses his convenient hearing loss to sleep through noises in the night. kinda makes me wish i was half deaf too when my brooke is up or crying in the night. darn us & our responsibilities as mommies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like we are on the same memory track. I too forgot pit stick this past week. I enjoyed your story, even if it wasn't fun for you to be the one living it.
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're just tired.

    I forget stuff all the time. I forget why I walk into a room more times than I care to count.

    I think I need more caffeine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol I think I'm way past that stage . I slightly forgot what door the bathroom even was today uh oh ... :P don't worry it wasn't that big a deal .Just for a split second, I proceeded into another door (my storage room )right beside the bathroom .

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol@ whisperingwriter. I do that too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, the whole shower routine cracked me up because it is so true. We have those routines and if you mess it up you either forget that you have skipped steps or you are left standing in the shower with the deer in the headlights look.
    Very funny!

    ReplyDelete
  8. welcome to the club!!! why just the other day, i put the cheese away ... i found it a day later in the microwave ... well at least i put it in an appliance ....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I put baby oil in my hair one day absentmindedly thinking it was conditioner. What a mess!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. As sucky as this sounds, I'm so glad I am not the only one that does these kind of things. I have moments like these...seriously. I never forget deoderant though because I have a sweaty pit (honestly just one) that no matter how often I put antipersperant/deoderant on I end up with a nasty man type wet underarm. Without deoderant I would have a nasty man type smell to go with it. (is that too much information?) So, super anal about the pit stick but have (maybe once....ok twice) left the house with two different shoes on.

    You don't wash your hair first? Weird.

    Oh and I figured out how to send follow-up comments to my email so there will no longer be any awkward silences. Unless you can't stand my constant stalker like attention to your blog and you really are ignoring me. If that's the case just continue what you are doing and I'll keep on making comments because I don't take hints very well and I like to hear myself talk. (or type)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Deodorant! Deodorant! I can spel! Reelly I can!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am always shocked when I look at myself in a store window and realize that I have forgotten to put on makeup.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was thinking the same thing about myself but I finally (and, truth be told, gratefully) realized that it was age. When you combine that with the exhaustion of motherhood--well, just be glad that those things are all you forgot! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. If you think it's bad now when you are YOUNG....just wait til you are Not As YOUNG! You forget what lipstick is for and use it on your pits and the shower routine goes totally down the drain. I think you are just tired and need to take 2PM's and the fork to bed!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ooooo...i just forgot what I was going to comment

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am hopelessly out of touch - I don't even know which one is Meredith on the show. (My best friend watches it, but I don't.)

    Here's hoping today is fresh-smelling and restful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My memory is terrible these days, too. It's frustrating!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. lmao@texascollectingal. Thanks for the laugh :D this is a great stop today ! I am lovin the comments .

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, sweetie, you are young. And, what you have is momheimers. It's caused by lack of sleep and a thousand and one things to organize, remember and do everyday.

    Just wait. Somedays those kids will be out of the house, and then you'll know it is really you!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have sprayed my deodorant in my hair and not even realized it! And I have put Cortizone 10 on my toothbrush. When you are a mom, you can't go back to bed when the forgetfulness hits. I love the "fork in the eyeball" trick!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. First of all you are wayyyy prettier than Meredith Grey!

    Second of all, girl, when was the last time you took time off for you...and took a bubble bath, and laid in bed and read a silly novel?

    Stress can make you forgetful. Slow down.

    You're doing so much,don't let yourself become invisible in the equation!

    Thanks for linking.

    I think we can all relate to this post.

    A+

    ReplyDelete