Thursday, March 10, 2011

A lot of times, I want to punch them in the face

*disclaimer* This is a little whiney.  Sorry.  But I am venting. And sometimes vents involve whining.  Or whining with wine.  And if wine is involved, I'll take the pinot.  A little ice would be good.

Something that I am kind of sensitive about is the fact that I don't work.

I always feel like I have to justify it.  Like, "We felt it was best for our family," or,  "We didn't want anyone else to raise our kids," or  "We are fortunate enough to be able to manage with one income," and then the old faithful, "Alex has such a crazy unusual schedule, there's no way we could make it work if both of us had jobs." Blahblahblah. 



We, of course, because if I said I, then it makes me sound like I don't want to work.  That it was all my decision.  And I get the feeling that some people in my life think that because I don't actually go to work (at a real job), I am lazy.

But the thing is, those are the facts.  And I totally resent it when people insinuate that I don't want to work.  Like I have no ambition, no drive, no need to do anything other than drop my kids off at school and sweep my fucking house all day.  Those are the people that I want to punch in the face.  But I don't.  Because I'm nice.  And controlled.  And I'm just a little bit scared that it would hurt my fist.

I wrestle with the desire to have a "real job" vs. the desire to be here to take care of my family all of the time.

The thing is, we made the conscious decision to let Alex's work be a priority. And in all honesty, sometimes I wonder if that was the best decision.  If it was fair, to me.  When Alex went to Law School, I still worked.  So did he.  He worked all day, then went to class at night.  It was a pretty brutal four years.  But me furthering my education definitely took a back seat.

And then more kids came and Alex's career became more demanding and we just fell into this pattern.  This pattern of me always being here, dealing with things because that was what was easiest.  And the sucky thing is, now I feel like it's too late for me.  I've been out of the work field for like 6 years now.  Who would want to hire me?

It's too late for me.

Partly because I have waffled for so long on what I really want to be when I grow up, but also because now I feel like I'm too old.  I know, I know.  Old people go back to college.  But I just feel like if I did, I'd be 45 (!!) when I finished.  Then what?  Get a "real job" when half the people out there are thinking retirement?  What if I couldn't hack college?  I've been out of school for so long, what if it was too hard?  What if I failed?

I have a ridiculous fear of failure.  So my usual M.O. is to just quit before I fail.  Which in actuality, is failure in itself.

And what do I want to be anyway?

Then the guilt comes.  The guilt of why isn't this enough.  Like really.  Why isn't this enough?

I just feel like something isn't right.  The balance is messed up and my side of the scale is empty.

I'm not jealous, or resentful.  Or maybe I am a little.  I certainly don't blame anyone.  I mean, I realize that it could be worse.  I realize that this is a stupid thing to complain about.  I realize how lucky I am. 

But I feel like life is too short.  I'm seeing that now.  My foot is one step closer to the grave every single day, and the reality is: I'm not 100% content.

I need to figure out what makes me happy.  Where my place is.  And what is missing.  As much as I love being a mother and a wife, I think I need something else too, for just me.  And I shouldn't feel bad for wanting/needing that, to make me complete.

So why is it that I feel like I sound like a selfish, whiney jerk?

This is my VENTING post, because we are on V at Jenny Matlock's Alphabe-thursday.
Jenny Matlock

10 comments:

  1. I don't believe it is ever too late to decide what you want to be. By 45 many of us have changed what we wanted to be anyway.

    You have a very important job that I bet you do well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sweetie, it's never too late!

    You already have a "real" job, but if you want to reenter the work force sometime, I'll bet you would be wildly successful.

    My sister got her first job outside the home when she was 50 and she's doing great! She doesn't have a degree, but she has a lot of common sense and a terrific work ethic....

    The answer will come to you at some time when you don't expect it...Stay open to possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that it is never too late! Out of necessity, I went to work for a couple of years when my first two were in first and second grade. Then I stayed home for several years, and then I lucked into a fabulous job that I adored. When my now ex-husband got transferred, I had to give it up. I have always been an artist, though, so basically, I guess I have always worked. It didn't always seem like it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe society puts to much pressure on moms to go get a job. I think a mom's first priority should always be her family and that is a huge job. ( I do understand that this isnt always possible) Dont let anyone tell you that your not contributing or lazy. The fact that you stay home and take care of your children will reap so many rewards for them in all their yrs to come!! It will teach them that you see them as your biggest accomplishment and investment and its worth staying home for! You are raising children and that is HUGE WORK.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some days we need to vent and that is OK. But, happiness is peace of mind in spite of your circumstances. I work, but would rather stay home. You stay home, but would rather work.

    I'm in the computer field and was home full time for 5 years. I didn't think I could get another computer job when the economy tanked, but I did and I was 48.

    Take a step back and determine what is important in your life and what you will be proud of when you are old and gray.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are not! (a selfish, whiney jerk)
    You are wrestling with life purpose issues. Most people do this one way or another.
    Let's debunk the first myth: It's NEVER too late! I think of Grandma Moses who started her painting career at age 80. I have a cousin who went back to college to get a teaching degree and started teaching at age 52. The stories go on....
    Myth #2: Listen carefully. You ARE working! You ARE working! You are WORKING! Managing a family is difficult and important work. SO, SO important!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can so relate to your post. Being a SAHM is great most of the time but can be lonely and thankless at other times. Ignore what the haters say (or imply). Your job is the most important of all.

    I returned to the workforce (half-time) 4 years ago after being pretty much a full-time SAHM for 11 years. I struggled with the same fears: Who would want to hire me? But many businesses are looking for mature, dependable employees. I have found my last two jobs through word of mouth. If and when you're ready to go back to work, spread the word among your friends and acquaintances. I went back to work at age 46, so it is NEVER too late.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Jess. I hear your pain girl. And you could be writing so much of this about me.

    It's not that you want to leave the kids...it's that you want to be able to buy something with your 'own' money, that you earned. You want to have a life of your own and not just have the life of a Mom and a wife...which are wonderful, wonderful lives to be part of, but somtimes it doesn't feel like quite enough.

    If financial need isn't forcing you to head that direction, think about taking some classes. That's what I did. And it was a wonderful thing for me.

    I still (in my mid-50's) don't know what I want to be when I grow up and I've done some fun careers in my life, but I do know that being accessible to help my husband, babysit my grands, and be able to transport my aging parents as needed is the MOST important thing right now.

    I just don't want to be invisible...and I want what I think to matter.

    It is never too late. Ever. Except when it is, and then it doesn't matter anymore.

    You are young and intelligent and vibrant and strong.

    Take a class in something that you're interested in but always hesitated...welding? History? Sociology?

    Let yourself find something for you.

    It's OK.

    I loved this post. I hope I didn't get too get carried away here marching loudly in your parade, but I think the myth of women staying home as a cop out, stinks!

    And I heard more than my share of it as well.

    Thanks for linking.

    A++++++++++++++++++++++++

    ReplyDelete
  9. 6 years?

    Me, for more than one year, staying at home could suck, but I am happy to blog and make online friends,

    try to wrote short fiction or biography and get your work published...self-publishing is popular these days.

    bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think people are judging you, I think YOU are judging you. I think you are in a rut and scared to take steps to get out. If you can afford to stay home and it makes you happy than you should. I will say that I think you would find a whole new world opened up to you by getting a job--You don't have to go get a PhD--its just nice to get out even if its 2 hours a day at Dunkin Donuts. Its great to do something that is just about you. It makes you a better mom when you get back, and a couple extra bucks don't hurt either!

    ReplyDelete