Monday, March 14, 2011

if you were hip, you wouldn't use the word hip.

I hate when people try too hard to be cool.  To be hip, to be with it.  Like it's so obvious when it's not authentic.


If you were hip, you wouldn't really use the word hip, would you?


I think actually being cool is having a mixture of confidence, authenticity and attitude.  Like, an "I don't care what you think of me," attitude.  And confident originality.


That's so not me.


I am not the least bit cool.  98.6% of the time I am pretty much a blundering idiot.

I'm not super confident, and I even though I might act like I don't care what you think of me, I really do on the inside.  Don't tell anyone.  But I do think I am very authentic.  So I guess by my definition, I am approximately 1/3 cool, 2/3 socially awkward.


Back in the day, when I guess I was semi-cool,  I felt like a fraud.  If I ever came off as confident or original, or like I had an attitude, it was totally from a different place than authentic.  It was good acting at its best, and that's pretty much it.

But who really is that confident anyway?  Does anyone really, truly not care what other people think of them?  We all have to have some measure of insecurity, somewhere.  Don't we? 

I remember when I was in high school, there was this girl.  She was so pretty, and so smart and so athletic.  She so looked like she had everything that any girl could want.  There was never a day that she didn't look great, pulled together, like everything was that easyShe was cool.  I was quietly envious of her bold confidence, I wished I could be like that.  As grown ups, we are friends.  And she recently mentioned that she often felt very insecure.  It kind of shocked all of us in the room, because you never would have known that.  

So how is it that even though she was probably just as insecure as I was, she could walk into a room with her head up, daring anyone to mess with her, and I would make a conscious effort to slide quietly in, hoping nobody would notice me?

I don't know where confidence comes from.  Like I really don't.  Is it learned?  Is it just in you?

I really want my kids to be confident.  One of my kids right now just tries so hard to fit in, it's almost painful to watch.  This one will just be devastated at anything that could be considered a slight, that someone doesn't want to be friends, that that someone doesn't want to play.  The worst part is, this child of mine is very likeable, very fun, funny and original with lots of great thoughts and ideas. 

It's hard to sit by and watch.  I have no idea how to teach her to be confident.

6 comments:

  1. I've struggled with the same thing! My son is a precious 21 year old guy. Very God centered. Smart. Funny. Cute! He's had girls chasing him since he was about 12 (including some much older females who back off instantly upon hearing his age) but he still thinks he will probably be single because "girls don't like him." It's social anxiety pure and simple and since I have the same struggle ... how can I help him? I've pretty much surrendered it to God but I really pray that He places a partner in this child's future because life is just too hard to do alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Working with teenagers makes me feel so uncool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, Jessee, I know. I could have written this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to exude confidence every step of the way every single day. But I don't. Oh, I can fake it just fine. However, I will say that, with age, does come more of the attitude of I don't care what you think of me. And it's very liberating. LOL But, don't you think that if we all were so confident all the time we would be less able to empathize with other people? That we would tend to become self-centered and uncaring? Very thought provoking post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was never cool. I was always the fat chick and everyone's friend, but not the cool friend or the funny friend...just "the friend".

    I pray every day that my kids find their place in the world easily and are happy with it. Oh how much nicer it would be if kids didn't pick on or single out or bully each other.

    And even when they don't...it's still hard to be confident or fill "in".

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jess. Help her find a passion. Help her find something she is good at and that she loves and let her be hip about that.

    I'm probably not the best person in the world to give advice about parenting a teen (but I did get 1 turning out perfect, 1 turning out obnoxious, and 1 well...that's a whole other story.)

    One thing I wish I had done, though, was make my kids see sadness and loss. I proteced them. I didn't drag them to the soup kitchens, didn't drag them to hand out blankets to the drug addicts. And sometimes now i wish I would have.

    I integrate doing good with my Grands...not to that level yet, but they seem like more compassionate children already.

    When they are older I will see if their parents will let me take them to volunteer.

    You can't understand how you're going down a wrong pat sometimes unless you see the consequences.

    And on that cheery note...find out what she loves and encourage her to find joy with it.

    We can't all be hip.

    And the daughter that I can hardly talk about...yeah, she was the hip, cool, popular, wonderful one in school.

    ReplyDelete