Friday, September 24, 2010

Cleaning like sarah

What is it with fall that makes everyone want to purge?

I have a whole notebook of lists (I love lists), room by room, of crap that needs to be done around my house.  And it involves a lot of purging of miscellaneous stuff that has accumulated over time.  So I started by going all Sarah at Cloverlane.  She has this black garbage bag theory... and I went there.  Yes, yes I did.  So far I am only on three big bags of crap to bring to the curb, but it's a start!  A good start, considering that it was all from one room.  In fact, one might say that I am ahead of the game, because Sarah does Forty Bags in Forty Days.  And I did three bags which means technically, I could skip tomorrow and the next day if I wanted to.

Actually, it's not from one room exactly.  More like one closet.  My closet, to be specific.

In my defense, it is a pretty big closet.  And I share it with my husband who is a hoarder.  I'm not a hoarder.  Well.  Some might disagree, but whatever!  Lots of things that look like garbage to your average person could possibly have meaning! So anyway.

So in tweaking Sarah's method, I start with piles.  There are ONLY three piles.  The keeper pile.  The tosser pile and the donating pile.  Actually, the donating pile gets broken down a little further, into the donate to people I know category, and the donate to the Salvation Army category, but I still consider it one category.  It is my system (sorta) so I can do that.

So the thing that makes this plan so effective is the fact that the bags are black, so kids (and husband) can't see what is being tossed or donated.  Which leads to no meltdowns.  Because really, I am tossing things that are just done, you know what I mean?  Done = played out, worn out, never looked at, never played with, never worn.  But isn't it funny that when kids (or husband) think something is getting tossed (disgusting holey undershirts and underpants that don't fit, etc) they panic?  They try to save the item or items by rationalizing or crying or moaning.  They may even try to sneak the holey undershirts back into their drawer.  Hon.

Anyway.  I am starting my purge and clean.  Yay for fall!

3 comments:

  1. I'm not a pack rat at all. It's makes for easier cleaning that way. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG. I am so with you! I love lists and my weekend is following a huge list of things to be done in each room of the house. My fellow is a hoarder and even has trouble parting with wine bottles! (he's ok with other trash though) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. JPT -- Whoa. Can't imagine life with no clutter!! That would be amazing. I am half of it though. I must admit.
    Jules- funny what a person will hold onto, right? LOL. My husband cannot say goodbye to old t-shirts. He STILL has some from high school!

    ReplyDelete