Thursday, September 16, 2010

the scariest movie that I ever watched

A couple of years ago, I was home alone-ish (kids asleep upstairs), and I was clicking around the TV just bored.  I stopped on this movie called Hostel, which had just started - so I settled in and started watching.  I watched horror movies when I was a teenager, I guess everyone did -- you know Jason and Freddy Krueger - that kind of stuff.  To me, that wasn't realistic enough to be truly scary.  You went to the movies, screamed along with everyone else, then went home and forgot about it.  But as an adult, I have no interest in watching horror - I didn't even realize that the movie Hostel was supposed to be in that category. 

I think I went with it because I saw it was a Quentin T movie, and I always like his stuff, it's weird and different - just my style.

Let me tell you, I am still traumatized.  I always had backpacking through Europe on my mental bucket list, but this movie changed EVERYTHING.  I also had scary dreams about it periodically for years.  YEARS. 

The only other thing that ever affected me like that was the book American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis.  I literally had to put the book away for a bit (I honest to God hid it from myself under the bed) because it was so horrible and scary that I just needed a mental break.  I remember actually seeking the book out because I heard it was removed from the shelves.  I had to go to a few bookstores before I even found it, and it was in the back stockroom- wrapped so you couldn't see the cover or something.  I hate when books get removed from the shelves.  That's just so wrong.  So of course, I had to see for myself.  And I was subsequently traumatized, and really do wish I never read it in the first place.  The movie version isn't anywhere as intensely sickening as the book, so if you saw it without reading it - don't be fooled.



Just thinking about it makes me feel sick in my stomach, actually, right now.

OK, so I was going to write about the movie Hostel, then I got sidetracked with American Psycho, but now I am all thinking it will give me bad dreams so I am wrapping this post up with this very, very smart advice:  If you like to have peaceful dreams and a good night of sleep, don't watch the movie Hostel, and definitely DON'T read the book American Psycho.

The end.

1 comment:

  1. I had a thing for horror flicks when I was a teen. Thankfully have grown out of it. The weirdest thing about them for me is my daughter loves them now, but my son could care less about them.

    ReplyDelete