Wednesday, September 15, 2010

so what exactly is the protocol?

I love reading the comments that people leave for me, and I don't get enough comments where it is actually overwhelming to respond to them individually.  So someone fill me in, please.  WHAT IS THE PROTOCOL on responding to comments?

Do I respond individually?  Do I do that on my original comment thing, or do I re-comment you on your blog?  Do people even ever come back to see if you responded to their comment?  Do I respond in an email?

I don't mean to sound all crazy, but I don't want to be rude!  I want to respond, and even though I have been doing this for a bit, I really don't know all of the blog rules.  Or any of them, if you want the truth.

Once, when I first started blogging,  I deleted a mean comment from a mean lady who was just . . . mean.  But I only deleted it because I didn't know how to answer her and I hated the thought of leaving it out there without being able to defend myself.  Well, I still don't know the right way to respond, so what if someone is mean to me again?

So, I am asking for your collective opinions.  Anyone? anybody home? mcfly? 

4 comments:

  1. Jessee,

    I don't think a big-time blogger like you can respond individually to each Joe Blow who leaves a comment, do you? If you respond to this I'll be dragging you down to my level. Just let the readers have their say and move on. Unless you know them personally, then you can e-mail them separately. Oprah wouldn't respond individually. Think of yourself as a young Oprah! Love the blog, keep up the good work, but don't respond back to me on this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, here are my thoughts.

    I myself get a lot of comments. And I don't have the time to respond to each of them individually. And I honestly, truly feel bad about that. I blog to make friendships, and I hate that I don't have more of a two-way relationship on my blog.

    I think if someone asks you a question directly, you need to answer them. Many people have an e-mail attached to their account. My question to you is: every time you get a comment on your blog, does that comment get e-mailed to you? If it does, then when you receive the e-mail/comment, that person's e-mail is attached to it. So you could just hit "reply" and e-mail them your response.

    I have been about a month behind on reading blogs, and just a few days ago I finally commented on one of your posts about who my free kiss would be. I actually checked back a day later to see whether you had responded, and you hadn't. It doesn't really matter, but I wondered whether you even saw that comment because you hadn't responded (and that's only because you have responded in the past). But I know that a lot of people comment, and then move on (and never go back to read the comments again).

    So my thoughts are: if someone asks you a question specifically, e-mail them the answer directly (if they have an e-mail attached to their profile). If someone asks a general question that other people may be interested in the answer, then answer it in the comments. Otherwise, just enjoy the comments and know that we are leaving them because we love what you write!

    (Sorry for the epistle.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, Ok Larry - I can't help responding. Thank you for still reading this erratic blog. :) Erin -- I didn't even realize you commented on that post! I agree with everything you said. The email associated with this blog isn't my primary one, so I just don't check it every day, but I will definitely try your suggestion of replying. I didn't know it was that easy!
    THANKS for your input guys! :) Now I am off to try to make that happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.

    ReplyDelete