Friday, September 17, 2010

full circle



What comes around goes around... if you spit in the air, eventually it's going to land on your face... karma's a bit*h... if you lie down with dogs, you're going to come up with fleas... wait.  That one doesn't apply, but I heard it once and thought it was funny.


You know, I don't sit around waiting for bad things to happen to people who have wronged me.  I feel like at some point, things come full circle on their own, and you reap what you sow.  There I go again with the sayings. It's funny.  I guess I never think about what others think my full circle will be.  Who have I wronged, and are they waiting for something to happen to me so they can be all like, "Hmph.  That's what you get for slapping me across the face in fifth grade!"


Like, what is MY Karma (karma: how you live your life determines the kind of life you will have. one's fate, destiny)?  Has it already happened?  Whoa.  Is this going to turn into some deep philosophical post??  Well.  That wasn't my intention, but let's just keep plugging along and see where this thought process goes.

I know I have done things wrong here and there along the way.  I'm sure I was thoughtless more times than I can count, and I know I hurt some feelings but I can't really think of too much that I have done purposefully or in a mean-spirited way to hurt someone.  Except throw my sister's Puff the Magic Dragon record down the stairs.  I'll never hear the end of that!

I did lie and say that Sha Na Na was my cousin when I was in 3rd grade.  Dumb bell that I was, I didn't exactly get the point that Sha Na Na was a band, not a person.  I lied because my friend Val went to the Shaun Cassidy concert and got a satin jacket with his name on it and wore it to school.  I was so jealous.  And I did slap a girl across the face in fifth grade and that was so mean, but I did it because someone encouraged me to do it. I guess I was looking for approval, acceptance by a specific girl friend.  Of course, that doesn't make it right -- just explaining my logic at the time.  I never did say sorry to that girl, I will if we ever cross paths again though. 

I also was a mean girlfriend to a few guys in high school.  I still have tons of guilt about that, really.  No excuses, but insecurities and selfish immaturity was what that was all about and I know that.

So I was thinking about what my Karma could be.  And I just don't know.  I mean, I live a pretty happy life - have a happy marriage, healthy kids and close relationships with family.  I have money in the bank and food on the table.  In general I am good and don't have many real problems.  So either my Karma hasn't hit yet, or it already happened and it was so insignificant I didn't even notice it.

Hmm.

Just something to think about:
Buddhism - the teaching of Buddha that life is permeated with suffering caused by desire, that suffering ceases when desire ceases, and that enlightenment obtained through right conduct and wisdom and meditation releases one from desire and suffering and rebirth


2 comments:

  1. Shanana was your cousin...awwww, that's cute and sad all at the same time.
    I found myself leaning into the computer screen, thoroughly enjoying every word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We always used to say "the cows always come home" when it came to karma. And why yes, we were small town hick folks where I came from. ;)

    ReplyDelete