Saturday, September 4, 2010

Saturday Centus

Jenny Matlock

Writing for Jenny Matlock's Saturday Centus, where she gives a weekly themed prompt, and you can use UP to 100 words (not including the prompt) to tell your story. It can be fact or fiction. The only restrictions are: The prompt must be left intact AND you cannot split up the words in the prompt.

I have the prompt in bold.

The wind whipped my face and I could feel the tears threatening to fall. My back pressed hard against the big oak tree behind the shed. It was a dark and stormy night, the kind of night always spent inside, surrounded by the warmth of loved ones. The fleeting thought that I should be wrapped up in Grammy’s quilt reading by the light of the fire pushed a lone tear slowly down my cold cheek.



I didn’t care that they were yelling my name. Flickers of the flashlights were getting fainter, and so were their frantic calls.


I imagined her soothing voice, “It’s alright Honeychild, Grammy’s gotcha now.”


7 comments:

  1. OK Missy. Get back here right this second and tell me what's happening here. Why is she running? What happened?

    I am astonished how much of a story you told in these few short words.

    Evocative, dramatic, tense and tender.

    All in one little amazing story.

    You need to be entering "young fiction" writing contests. I'm seeing more and more of those out there for the under 30 crowd. I figured I could enter twice and maybe they wouldn't notice.

    Thanks for linking.

    I really enjoy your style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I might cry. Seriously. She had to get away from something...I wonder if my character is with her...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were able to evoke such strong feelings in so few words. Beautifully written. Why was she running? I would love to read more of this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that was intense! Your great use of words conjures up such emotion that it leaves us wondering "Oh my, why is she hiding? What happened to cause her to flee?" and that is a sign of great writing.

    Very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know exactly what happened but I think she's missing her grandma an awful lot. This sounds like a good story in the making. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no. What happened? Poor girl.

    You left me wanting to know more...and that's what good writing's all about, right?

    Nice job!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the contrast of the dark dramatic situation and grandma's warm soothing presence. Like everyone else, my mind is racing trying to guess why she is running. Really great SC!

    ReplyDelete