Thursday, September 9, 2010

remember mix tapes?

Unless you are (ahem) of a younger generation, you probably know what a mix tape is. You know, the things that came after records, but before CD's, which came before mp3 downloads. Have I lost ya yet, young'uns?

Well anyway, I have a lot of mixed tapes from back in the day. You know, straight up Say Anything style (love you John Cusack!), the things that old loves of your life made for you - cassette tapes mixed with all sorts of fantastic 80's tuneage - Psychedelic Furs, Modern English, Peter Gabriel, Pink Floyd. . . U2(!), Echo and the Bunnymen, The Smiths!! 



Remember the tapes that you made yourself, sitting with your tape recorder pushed up to the radio while waiting patiently for your requested song to come on, which would subsequently be ruined when mid-way through the crappy taping, one of your sisters would slam open the bedroom door and scream at you that you were wearing her fringed boots?

Oh wait.  That didn't happen to you too?

Back to the point. The problem is, the only thing I have to play them on is a pink Barbie princess boom box (do they even call them that anymore?).  As you might imagine, the sound quality isn't exactly amazing on that thing.  But on the plus side, it has a microphone, so I could rock out to my old favorites!  Yeah.  I guess that might be something to try when I am all alone, all alone.  Like I am right now.  Til 3:26 pm.  Five days a week.

Gah!  I am having kid withdrawl.  Whoa.  Did I just say that out loud?


4 comments:

  1. Did you know you can have those tapes converted to a cd which you then can convert to mp3 or itunes ;-) find a local recording or audio place and they should be able to do it ofr you...I converted all mine :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did Brooke's first day go, btw? I have a feeling it was far more stressful for you than it was for her. I'm so envious of your time alone! Sam is only 3 and now we have another on the way. I'll be too deaf and senile to enjoy the quiet when I finally get it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff -- I didn't know that! That makes me very happy, and I can't wait to find a place to do it for me. :) Thank you!
    Lisa -- CONGRATULATIONS!! How very exciting! I am always a little jealous when one of my friends is having a baby... I still can't quite say if I am actually done or not. Did you know Valerie and Holly both recently had babies? So you're not the only one - LOL.
    So Brooke did great! She is so happy... this kindergarten thing is exactly what she needed. Does Sam go to Pre-K?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I did know Holly just had a baby, but I didn't realize Valerie did also. Makes me feel a little better knowing I'm not the only one. I can think about that every time I wonder if we've finally bitten off more than we can chew! Now if I can just get through the NY trip next week. As I started to type this I realized I don't own a single pair of shoes that isn't sandals or flipflops, unless you count a pair of sneakers! Add that to needing maternity clothes and I'd better get shopping or I imagine I'll be chilly up there. Days are still warm, yes? Also--you can feel free to join this baby movement our classmates have started at any time!

    ReplyDelete