Tuesday, September 7, 2010

clean as a whistle?

Do you ever find yourself saying that?  Like how clean can a whistle be, actually?  I mean, if you think about it, a whistle is probably pretty unclean.  Germy even.  Especially if it is a whistle blown by a kid.  Or some person who doesn't brush their teeth regularly.



Another one of those phrases that makes me smile inwardly sometimes, is "fast as a bullet."  My kids say that.  However, one can easily figure out that a bullet is pretty fast.  They also say "shiny as a bullet."  Like Brooke will exclaim "Mom, aren't my teeth as shiny as a bullet?!"  after she brushes.  With her mouth in a big cheesy grin.  Shiny as a bullet if someone shined it I guess!  Or if it was brand new in the box.  But certainly not a used bullet, which probably wouldn't be very shiny at all.

I say "Home in a jig!" when we get home sometimes.  It's like it just falls out of my mouth.  What is a jig anyway?  A dance move?  Did my mom say that when we were kids?  "Home in a dance move?"  Well that doesn't make any sense.

So of course, in my quest to find the answer to all things odd and stuff, I did a little research on the term "clean as a whistle," and there was quite a long winded answer online, which I won't bore you with except for the fact that it has to do with beheading someone in the 19th century.  If you are interested in a more in depth discussion on it, you can click here!  Well, now that I know what it actually means, I may have to rethink using it.

I also checked into "Home in a jig," which refers to an old children's poem.  Which of course lead me to read about the origins of lots of other phrases. Because I tend to get all carried away like that.  Some of them are really gross actually.

Well, there you have it.  I have to wrap this up for now, because my dogs are barking

That's my exciting and oh so interesting post of the day! Feel free to share any interesting commonly used non-sensical-ish phrases that you may have been saying without knowing the real meaning to. (that sentence actually came out pretty non-sensicalish, didn't it?)

No comments:

Post a Comment