Tuesday, January 18, 2011

in my head i am so mad

I am pretty level-headed.  (my husband may not agree)


I try really hard to not sweat the small stuff, as I have mentioned several times before.


It took me a long time to get to this chill place, to be honest with you.  I admit that I used to sweat the small stuff, like, hard.  I am ashamed.


But the other day, in my chill state, I was so pissed.  In my head.  And also out of my head.  And I have to admit, even though I am over it, I am still mad.


So this is what happened to get me in such a tizzy:

My husband and I went in to this furniture store for the first time to purchase a few mattresses for our children's beds. It looked a little like a hole in the wall from the outside, but inside it had four floors of furniture in varying degrees of quality.  Apparently, it is a family run business that's been around a while.  So while milling about, we found a great bedroom set, couch and chair that we decided to purchase as well - a total of 10 pieces. We spoke to the grandson of the original owner, who was one of the salesmen, and initially he seemed helpful and knowledgeable. We even went with his suggestion on an up sell of the mattresses.

While he was writing up our order, he answered another call. Which was fine.  It gave us a chance to chit chat about our purchases.  My husband and I were conversing quietly and privately about buying the couch and chair from another place we had visited, as we felt it was a better deal. (When we earlier asked about a discount for getting a bunch of stuff [which I thought was kind of customary], this salesman told us that there was no negotiation - we were getting the "everyday low price" that people came "far and wide" for.) We were still going to purchase the bedroom set and mattress (7 pieces), though we were a little turned off by his attitude. We were prepared to pay in cash.

The salesman then finished his phone call and returned to us, clearly having been eavesdropping on our conversation, and proceeded to tell us with a rude and condescending tone that there was no way that the couch and chair we were talking about (privately) was a better deal - they must be of lesser quality. That we would be foolish to purchase those items instead of the ones he was trying to sell us.  So, being the polite people that we are, we declined to purchase those items matter-of-factly, and said that we'd just be going with the bedroom set and mattress. The salesman then yanked the order from the counter, stood there and tore it up in front of our faces, then grabbed another order form, slammed it on the counter and began rewriting the order while muttering nastily under his breath. Frankly, his whole demeanor was shameful, and rather shocking.  We kind of stood there for a second, dumbfounded.

Now, when I am buying anything from a company, regardless of the price, I assume I will be treated fairly and with respect. This salesman was so rude, condescending and insulting, we just walked out. We will never go back. Funny enough, we had gone in with my sister and her husband, who were buying a couch and two children's bedroom sets - they were fully committed to spending thousands of dollars there as well. Of course, they left with us and were shocked at the behavior of this salesman as well, as were the people who were waiting behind us (who happened to hear and see the whole thing).

You know, I grew up working in my family's retail business.  I spent many years dealing with customers.  Plenty of them rude, to be honest with you.  I don't need some salesperson kissing my ass or stroking me and falling all over me to get my business.  I don't need all of that crap.  I know what I like, I will ask questions if I have them, and then, I'll buy the stuff.  No hassle, no haggle.  I am an easy customer.  I promise you.  All I expect is decency.  That's it.  Simple decency.

So that's why I am still pissed.  Today.  And I wrote a review of that store online, and I wrote a letter of complaint to the owner.  Probably won't matter, but at least it made me feel better.

FYI, the name of the store was The Saugerties Furniture Mart.  Instead of getting furniture, you should go across the street to Dallas Hot Wieners.  Whoa.  Best hot dogs like, ever.  It was a much better experience.  And a hell of a lot cheaper too.

2 comments:

  1. Man, that sucks, especially since he seems to be one of the owners. I would complain to anyone above him, if there is one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for: walking out, writing a review, writing the owner and posting on your blog. Geez, what a jerk he was.

    ReplyDelete