Thursday, January 27, 2011

I just wanted to close my eyeballs for a minute

Yesterday, I was in the living room "reading."

Air quotes because "reading" quickly turned into "closing my eyes for a minute in the dark because I had a dumb headache."

So I hear Brooke call out from the other room, "Mom where are you?"

And I say, "In here, resting my eyeballs."

And she comes rushing in and says worriedly, "You got kicked in the balls?!"

OK.  Timeout while I paint the picture for you: my sweet blonde-headed princess girl with her little five year old voice saying such a thing.

So of course I'm all like, "What??"

And she crawls up into my lap and says, "I thought you said you got kicked in the balls,"  while sucking her finger and snuggling into me with her blanket.  It was a very sweet moment.  And I was momentarily distracted by the sweetness and snuggling. 

Then I was all like, "Where did you hear that word?"

And she's all like, "Daddy said it the other day when Alex kicked him when they were wrestling."

And I said, while inwardly scowling at my husband, "Well, we don't say balls."

And she sits there for a minute, thinking it over.  And then she's like, "Well did you get kicked in the penis then?"

So we've established that A) Brooke needs some clarification on anatomy, and B) Dad needs some clarification on appropriate responses to searing pain in front of little girls.

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like it's time for The Talk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least she's got great vocabulary! Loved how the story unfolded : )
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  3. JDaniel would have described exactly what body part had been hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! My boys would have said just that. Or testicles since, nurse that I am, early on, I used anatomical words!

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least she was in the right area. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. aww...you've gotta admit that she's pretty sweet?

    A few weeks ago, my "grandlittle" (thanks, Jenny) told me that his "balls were hertwing." Sure enough, the little guy was all chapped and needed a warm tub. His dad is his main caregiver so his vocabulary is a little different!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just too cute for words! Out of the mouth of babes. You really do gotta watch what you say around them. They are all ears!~Ames

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an adorable story!

    This whole thing made me laugh, Jessee! I said something similar to my Mom many years ago (called her a pr*ck!) and I still remember getting my mouth washed out with soap.

    Sigh.

    Thanks for a perfect link on our little journey through Alphabe-Thursday's letter 'P'.

    A+

    Thanks for

    ReplyDelete