Wednesday, March 2, 2016

I TRIED IT, a product review, healthy stuff and nature verses nurture

OK, so for a while now, I've been slowly replacing various things with an organic or natural substitute. Not because I'm a crunchy, judgey crazy person, just because I make the mistake of reading too much, and it stresses me out when I think about how many chemicals I unknowingly have in, around and on my bod on a daily basis.

I blame my sister. She had cancer last year, and I was reading up on things as far as what she could eat, etc after her surgery, and suddenly I was bombarded with information about all of the cancer causing ingredients in stuff we use all day, every day. It got interesting and actually pretty scary, and I started doing more research and learning about it all. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that I have choices and I have the ability to limit what I expose myself and my family to. 

I swear I'm not a weirdo. I don't preach about it, I keep it to my own little self. I slowly get rid of the crap, and then reintroduce better, healthier alternatives. Also, a lot of these organic and natural products are cruelty free, and that's important to me too. Because, animals. So I was thinking that maybe I would review some of the products that I have tried and liked or disliked, just in case anyone else is interested.  I'm so not an expert, but I definitely appreciate real opinions from real people when I am looking at trying something new. 

The other day, I was thinking that my husband is so chill, and he never gives me a hard time about buying stuff. So I said, "Hon, thanks for being cool about me trying different products, I know I smell different" 
and he was like, "Oh, I don't mind. I like that you try different stuff. It's Nature verses Nurture." 
and I said, "Nope. No it isn't even close to Nature verses Nurture." 
and he said, "Oh." And then he took out the garbage.

Just so  you don't think my husband is a moron, Nature verses Nurture is a little running joke we have. Every so often he throws it out there in conversation, maybe one day he'll actually get it right.

ANYway, here's my take on some deodorant.  Most deodorants/anti-perspirants are aluminum based, and some of them contain parabans and phthalates (ingredients often used as preservatives in cosmetics), among other things. These ingredients have been tossed around as a possible link to breast cancer and Alzheimer's. Regardless, so may of the deodorants that are on the shelves have all sorts of harsh chemicals in them, and the products that you put on your body are absorbed into your body. 

I don't want to put those ingredients on my bod, so I decided to try:

The Honest Co. 
honest deodorant, lavender vanilla $8.95
"Safely neutralizes and instantly refreshes for long-lasting odor protection. Our aluminum-free deodorant offers soothing, yet powerful essential oils and botanical extracts to help inhibit underarm bacteria and odor, and deliver a healthy dose of clean freshness — anywhere, anytime. Made without: aluminum, zinc salts, propylene glycol, butylene glycol, parabens, phthalates, fragrances, triclosan, talc, steareth-n, silica, silicones, dyes, or most common allergens."



The truth is, I liked it, but it is definitely different than your normal drugstore brands.  It comes in a (plastic) spray pump.  I chose the lavender vanilla scented spray because I really like lavender. It was nice and refreshing, not sticky, and it didn't leave any white residue. Though the scent wasn't overpowering, I definitely smelled like a relaxing spa all day (which isn't the worst thing to smell like if you ask me).  It seemed to work pretty well, but in order to not feel like I had a stinky armpit, I had to periodically reapply throughout the day. I do have an obsession with not smelling smelly, so I'm not sure if other people would feel the need to re-apply. That having to re-apply was my only real negative. It was kind of like perfume for your pit. It isn't an anti-perspirant, but I am not naturally very sweaty, so that didn't bother me. I will continue to use this I think, but I am going to try another brand that I read good things about. I'll review it as soon as I try it.

I ordered this product from the Honest Co. website. In comparison to other organic deodorant products price-wise, it is pretty much in the middle (not including shipping). I checked into a bunch of different brands and they ranged from about $6 - $19. 

So there it is. An actual product review. I don't know if I did it right, but you get what you get and you don't get upset. Pre-school rules. Learn them.

*I bought this product, and this is my opinion based on my experience with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment