Friday, December 3, 2010

When your husband says "wetties"

So the other night, my husband and I went to see a movie and grab a bite to eat.  Alone. 

Yes we do that now sometimes, since our baby is five years old.  And her controlling mother can finally allow someone else to put her to bed every so often.  And the five year old baby is totally fine with that.  In fact, I often hear, "When can Alyssa come babysit again Mom?  Don't you have someplace you want to go?"  Hmph.

So we are out at the movies and we head in to get our seats, and my husband looks at me and says with all seriousness, "I'm just going to run in and go wetties before the movie starts."

By "go wetties," he meant "go to the bathroom."

Yes.  Yes he did.  He said wetties to me at the movies. 

Because apparently, that is how we talk still.  And by we, I mean not me.

I didn't make up wetties, so don't blame me.  One of my kids did it.  I'm not sure why it was more effective than just saying go to the bathroom.  We all know what you mean when you say you have to go to the bathroom, right?

Well, except for my BIL, who will remain nameless to protect his privacy, must ask at all times, "Crapper?"  when anyone mentions that they have to go to the bathroom.  Like he just needs to clarify what is going on in there.

Wetties is pretty dumb.  Now, Brooke takes a lot of joy in saying pee.  Like everyone else in Kindergarten.  When I grew up, my mom wouldn't let us say pee, because she thought it sounded gross.  So we had to say wet.  And it was so embarassing.  Seriously.

Like, "Hey all of you uber cool teen-agers, wait for me!  I have to wet first."

Which, incidentally, sounds ridiculous as I even write it.

So of course, I made my kids all say wet too.  Because you know, we all turn into our own mother's at some point, right?   Right??!

So I turned to my husband and burst out laughing.  Because you know, it was just us.  No little five year old around to catch us saying "pee."  And he just looked at me like I was a weirdo. 

So I went into the ladies room with a smirk and of course went wetties too.  

5 comments:

  1. This entire post sounded very dirty to me. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. And that winking smiley face looks totally rape-y now that I think about the fact that you were talking about your children up there.

    Awkward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahahha Sara. Not awkward. I so wasn't going dirty! I promise! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. With us, it was a restaurant and he said he needed to go 'potty' and when I laughed he said, "What?" And, to this day, we will still say potty...our youngest is 19, BTW. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all of the cutie words your family has created, of course, I can understand some of the family language because of kara.

    but still, wetties has nothing on bumps. lol :)

    ReplyDelete