Friday, December 17, 2010

lights and cutting the line

Thankfully, I took my BIL off of my email delivery list, because he doesn't like boring posts, and I am sure I will be hearing about this one eventually.

So, sorry people, you can click away if you don't want to see a few pics about something cool we did this weekend.

So we went to this big park in Albany, where they have this thing called the Holiday of Lights.  Typically, I would never pay $25 bucks to drive around a park and look at Christmas lights, but we got in for free because my husband had some sort of VIP pass or something from a client.  Gotta love the perks!

So pretty much, we rounded the punks up and hopped in the car with cups of hot chocolate, and drove to the park.  You know, for something to do on a Sunday night with the kids.  Now, before I post a couple cool pics of some of the lights, I have to just tell you about the best part of the whole thing.

I have to set the stage though.  The Holiday of Lights is kind of a big thing to do around here - even if it sounds lame.  There are like over 125 light displays and they are pretty cool.  So typically, by the time 5:45 pm rolls around (it begins at 6:00), cars are lined up at the gate and winding all the way through the park.  As you can imagine, a ton of cars rubbernecking at all of the light displays might turn this into a pretty lengthy affair.

So we were sitting in the line, because we weren't exactly sure how it all worked, and this attendant guy comes up to our car, and my husband is like, "I am Alex with blahblahblah, and we are guests of blahblahblah.  Where should we go?"

So the attendant guy says, "Follow me," and we follow him, because like, obviously.  So this guy brings us past all of the other people waiting in line and pulls this barrier away and says, "You can go ahead."

So we essentially got to butt the entire line and drive around the park at our leisure for free.

I was so excited!  I never butt.  I always wait my turn, I swear!  But the VIP-ness of it all was so cool, I couldn't help but be all excited about it.  Mind you, it was just a 25 minute drive through a light display, and cutting a line is hardly worth getting excited over.  In fact, it may be worth getting your car egged over, but it was legit, so I didn't feel guilty.  Well, sorta, but we were allowed to butt.  

So without further implicating myself as a butter, I'll share a few of the favorites:


linking to alphabethursday at Jenny Mattock's.

12 comments:

  1. We have a winter light festival here in Tucson in a subdivision called Winterhaven. It is really spectacular! To enter the subdivision to see the lights, everyone has to donate canned goods to the food bank!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids love our local light festival too. But we have never been 'VIP', that adds a whole 'nother layer of awesome. Thanks for sharing that fabulous 'L' post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is so nice! Not lame at all. We used to do this all of the time around this time of year when I was a kid. Nice pictures, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This reminds me of the Light show in Virginia that we saw when went to visit our daughter. I love holiday festivities!~Ames

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post was an eye-opener since I thought Alex just automatically got VIP admission to anywhere he goes Upstate. Very interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely light displays! We have similar events over here. The best known are the famous Blackpool Illuminations, but there are plenty of others around the country. Mostly ours happen around the end of summer, into autumn, when the nights are drawing in but it is still not too cold (because many are not drive through).

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love looking at Christmas light displays :o) We have seen some pretty huge ones in Alabama, Hawaii, Tennessee, and some of varying sizes at the other places that the military has taken us :o) Thanks for sharing some of the photos of the ones you saw.

    And how fun to be able to "butt" in ahead of the line :o)

    Blessings & Aloha!
    I'm still trying to get to more L posts :o) Hope you get a chance to pop over to mine :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I'd like to go to that. I love looking at lights.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Those are some fabulous lights! I love looking at Christmas lights. But I'm like you. I don't like paying to drive around a park. Perhaps I'm missing out. The entry fee no doubt goes to pay the huge electric bill.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, that was a fun light show and nothing wrong with a little VIP butting. We have a light show down the street just at someone's house and the lights flash to music. It is so elaborate. So we took our grandchildren and sat out front for several songs and had so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for a funny link and a twinkling post down memory lane!

    I see Judie talks about a light festival in Tucson...we may have to head down there to see them. I miss these big displays like they have back East.

    The Twin Tower display was especially moving.

    I apologize for visiting so late this week. My days got away from me.

    Please accept my holiday wishes for a joyous and blessed Christmas!

    And, of course, I hope you are willing to accept your A+ as well, even though I'm terribly tardy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Il semble que vous soyez un expert dans ce domaine, vos remarques sont tres interessantes, merci.

    - Daniel

    ReplyDelete