Monday, December 20, 2010

resolutions already? really?


I try to get the kids to write their goals down each year -- my BIL always does this, and I copied him.  He actually turns his yearly goals into a framed picture, then hangs it in his bathroom so he is forced to look at it every day.

I don't go quite that far, but I do like to get my kids thinking about things they want to accomplish for the year.  Writing them down and seeing them often helps them remember.

Last year, one of my son's goals was to get an armpit hair.

I tried to explain to him that that particular goal wasn't something that he had much control over, but he wrote it down anyway.

One of Brooke's goals last year was to learn how to tie her sneakers, and she kind of has it down!  She gets a little frustrated, but she tries so hard.  Bunny ears.  Aw.

Surprisingly, I pretty much accomplished most of my own goals.  But I will have to re-put some of the things on my list from last year that didn't exactly happen. Like I didn't really get fit at 40 at all.  I really really really need to make that happen this year. 

Maybe if I shorten my list, it will force me to focus.  That's it.  I am going to make only three serious goals for the year 2011.  For reals.  And I am going to make a vow and have progress updates.  It will shame me into accomplishment.

Do you think using shame is a bad method?  I think it is a good method for me.  Because I don't like to publicly fail.  So there you have it.  On Jan 1, I will post my three biggest fattest goals, and I will also make it my mission to post monthly updates on my progress.

That just happened. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm all about shame. However, it's been my experience that this generation is a lot smarter than mine was. I would fall for shame from my mom. My kids...they sort of laugh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my resolutions will be the same again this year: I resolve to NOT make any resolutions. LOL

    ReplyDelete