Wednesday, December 15, 2010

oh Christmas tree



When Kara was home for Thanksgiving break we headed up to the tree farm to choose our Christmas tree.  We tagged it for cutting later.  Each year, it seems to get harder and harder to get everyone together at the same time, so I really like to keep that tradition going and pick it out when she is with us.












I always have these high hopes for Christmas tree picking.  I imagine all of us walking through the farm, snow gently falling, while we look with wonder at all of the different trees, happily chattering while bundled up in our warm winter clothes.  Maybe Alex whistling a merry Christmas tune...






Typically, the kids all end up stamping off in different directions, positive that the tree they settled on is the one.  The reality of it is someone is cold, someone is mad, someone thinks that tree is too short, fat, scraggly, someone tripped over a stump.   I wonder if we are the only family who argues over Christmas trees.  Doesn't exactly scream Christmas cheer, does it?




This year though, it went great.  No merry whistling or snow falling, but everyone seemed really happy.  Nobody tripped over a stump, and everyone liked the final choice.  Little Alex tried to cut it himself for the first time, but gave it about a half of a minute before he handed the saw over to his dad.  He was happy enough to be the only one who gets to shout "timber!"  He insists that nobody else say it but him.  He's weird like that.







So we got the tree set up that night.  It's actually the skinniest tree we have ever had.  Isn't it funny how different the trees always seem to look outside?



Of course the decorating of the tree was fun.  We have so many ornaments that I never think they will all fit.  I can't get rid of any of the ornaments that my kids make for me... those are my absolute favorite and definitely take up the most space.







Alex had to ceremoniously place Kara's second worst ever school picture ornament front and center to drive her crazy.  Since she had to go back to college before we decorated, he makes sure I take a picture of him putting it on.  He loves to tease her about it.



The tree has been up now since the beginning of December

I really do love looking at it every day.  It makes me think of my family.
 

2 comments:

  1. The tree is beautiful and so is your family! We used to go out and cut down a tree when our girls were growing up--until the year we had to redecorate three of them...from then on it's been artificial city! LOL

    ReplyDelete