Tuesday, January 3, 2012

back to reality. oh there goes gravity.

I love Eminem.


Anyway, today is the first day back to school for the kids.  I am surprised that Meg and Alex had no trouble getting up and moving after ten days of pretty much doing everything at their leisure.  Brooke needed a good prodding out of her my bed though.  But she always does.


I feel like a drill sergeant with her in the mornings, because she is as slow as her dad is getting up and out and moving.  I think it's in her DNA unfortunately.  If I am not all over her, I'll find her curled up on a pile of towels snuggling her blankie.  When she still has to brush her teeth, brush her hair and get her shoes on.  I wish we could have a morning of leisure, but the meanie attendance people at school do not appreciate tardiness.  I may or may not know this from experience.


I am all over my to-do list let me tell you.  I've started the new year like a girl with a mission.  My word of the year is going to be PURGE.  And I'd like to ask, how does a person accumulate so much crap?  There's just too much that I hang on to for some reason that I find a way to justify.   My second word of the year is SIMPLIFY.  Purge and simplify go together pretty well, don't you think?  Just wait til you periodically hear about how great it's going with that over here.


We pretty much got the tree down the day we got back from the resort.  I hate/love taking the tree down.  I hate it because it seems so bare and sad and cold when it's down - and I miss the soft twinkly lights when I am hanging out on my big comfy chair.  Plus a Christmas tree just makes you feel happy, you know?  But I do love taking it down, because having it up just seems to promote messy, cluttery, pine needley-ness that makes me have to vacuum more.  I just made up that word, pine needley-ness.  On the spot.  I am something else today.


ANYway, after dropping Brooke off at school this morning, I went straight to super Walmart to get groceries and (shocker) other crap.   When I got home, while putting everything away, I emptied out the food cabinets, fridge and freezer and reorganized.  I got rid of anything with a bad date, and anything that I know I will never use.  Besides three (!) bags of garbage, I ended up with a big bag to go to the food pantry.  So that's good.


I wanted to wear Alex's my slippers to Walmart.  All of the other people do it!  I couldn't pull the trigger.  I love these slippers.  Who wouldn't want to wear them every single cold day, all day long?  They are brand spanking new and they're nice and snug and not all stretched out by Alex's big fat wide foot.  On Christmas morning I spilled a whole thing of breakfast bacon grease on his our my original slippers.  Like, no saving those things - it was so gross.  The floor was pretty gross too I must add, and I almost fell on my face trying to get away because it was so slippery.  Luckily I have cat like reflexes and saved my own self.  


Anyway, the day after Christmas we went up to the mall.  Let me just tell you, I have never done that before and it was horrible.  So freaking crowded, no parking whatsoever, long dumb lines.  Ridiculous, actually.  It was way worse than any day I went up to the mall Christmas shopping including Black Friday, and I went up a lot of times.  


So we went up solely to replace the slippers.  We were hoping that we'd find a pair on sale because UGG slippers are always so freaking expensive.  I would never have bought them for myself if I knew they were a hundred bucks, but once you go UGG slipper, you never go back.  I needed them.  I mean Alex needed them.  Right.


I'm not exactly sure how this post went all the way from back-to-school and organizing to slippers.  I am all over the place today.  I better focus because I have more stuff to do before those little punks of mine get home from school.  Way more stuff.

3 comments:

  1. This year was one of the first years that I couldn't wait to take everything down and get back to normal. I've had way too much stuff going on this holiday season. With buying, moving and remodeling a new house. And birthing an English Bulldog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. purge indeed! Hey, I cleaned my underwear drawer up today. Hooray to me! I hope there'll be more of that because this house is a pig sty. You're so right about the tree going down making things feel cold though, but oh well, I'd better get that thing down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand perfectly how you went from back to school to organizing to slippers. Not sure what that says about the way our minds work. LOL

    I'm on a purge too. Actually, I've been on a purge and simplify since the nest emptied three years ago. I wonder if it's ever going to end!

    ReplyDelete