Wednesday, November 30, 2011

nothing exciting

I've been off doing family type things for the last week or so.  Free passes for holiday weekends!  I have a bunch of stuff to write about, but I can't seem to gather my thoughts into a clear little post for some reason.


It may be because I am sick.  Wah.  I have had some sickness or another for the past few weeks.  Crappy people getting me sick... probably my little punks bringing home all sorts of gross school germs.  I hate gross school germs.  That may be one of the biggest reasons that I decided to sell my preschool.  You can practically see the germs in a preschool, let me tell you.  Little kids wiping their runny noses on things that aren't tissues.  Little germ harborers who aren't the best at wiping their buns yet are just touching toys and tables and everything.  Ugh.  And no matter how obsessive you are about cleaning things and having kids wash their hands, it will never be enough.


Ah well, my sister Jen says those things are good for our immune systems, and she's a nurse.  So she probably knows what she is talking about.  Either way it gets me all feeling skeevy.  I know I have issues.


I am that person you see who uses their sleeve to open a door at the store.  Every time I use a shopping cart I feel like my hands are grimy and I have to go use a hand wipe.   I can't help it.  I keep them in my car.


Which incidentally did come in handy this weekend.  In fact, I may have even saved the day with the props for my germ freakishness.  Yeah, I'll toot my own horn.  I was coming out of Walgreen's on Thanksgiving (don't ask), and there was a car parked next to my car.  I could see a little kid throwing up on the ground between our cars, and the mom just sort of standing there looking lost.


So I got my wipes (and a roll of paper towels.  which I also carry in my car fyi) and brought them around to the mom.  She was all grateful because she had nothing to wash him up with.  Poor little guy looked so sick and sad and he was wearing a little suit for Thanksgiving.  Aw.


Speaking of Thanksgiving, I made this lemon custard pie and it was so good.  The crust was sucky for some reason, but I could have been happy just eating a bowl of that custard.  I love baking pies on Thanksgiving.  My sister Jen has this monster kitchen with a huge center island thing and there is enough room for several cooks to be comfy in the kitchen.  On the day of Thanksgiving we're all in there together, and it's just really warm and cozy.  I love that.


A huge group of us went to do this 5 mile Turkey Trot run thing on Thanksgiving morning.  It was so great.  Literally thousands of participants there, some walkers, some joggers.  Some woggers.  People of all ages, really.  I didn't run, walk, jog or wog.  I was the photographer.  Because I like to take the pictures and also because I don't particularly like the chaos of a few thousand people mashed together.  Anyway, the kid that won was really a kid.  Like 14 or something and he ran the five miles in 25 minutes and a few seconds, a five minute mile.  Crazy.  He was flying past everyone.  Some people had turkey hats on.  It never occurred to me to wear a turkey hat.  I don't think I would have worn one even if the thought occurred to me.  Also, this guy crossed the finish line and threw up right in front of my face (and the real photographer's face too). I would be willing to make a wager that his finish line crossing professional picture involves vomit coming out of his mouth.  Gross.  Anyway, with all of those people participating, the town raised thousands of dollars for their food pantry, which I think is such  a great thing.


And guess what?  I didn't run into my boyfriend Harry Connick Jr. unfortunately, even though I was in CT for five whole days.  Sheesh.  Where was he anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment