Wednesday, November 9, 2011

well. that's what you get.

So we went to the movies the other night.  It was a pretty stupid movie, stupid enough for me to actually have forgotten the name apparently.


The movie-going experience started great.  My husband had offered to take Alex, two girl friends and one guy friend to the movies.  Kind of like a double date.  Where we live, the movie theater is not right around the corner, so if kids want to catch a movie, they need to catch a ride.  Anyway, I thought it was really nice of him to offer, because he works up near where the theater is, so that meant he'd have to come home to get us after work, and then turn around and go right back up.  Plus I was thinking it would be nice because we hardly ever go to the movies together.


So I got our favorite sitter Alyssa.  She is awesome.  The girls love her and she drives herself.  Which means if we are ever out and stumble home tipsy (because we do that all of the time), we don't have to worry about getting her home. 


Anyway, the part that got sucky was the part where Alex was really late and neglected to call or text me to let me know.  Well, I am 98.6% positive that somehow a person can manage the 30 seconds it would take just to send an, "I'm running late" text so the other people counting on you aren't like, sitting around waiting like a bunch of dumbasses or late themselves.  One of my absolute worst things is when people lack common courtesy.  Just two seconds for a heads up!  That's all I ask!


Anyway, Alex and I don't fight much, and I wasn't going to start something over that, but I wasn't going to wait around and make my son and his friends late to the movie.  So I left without him and drove them up.  That might sounds mean, but he wasn't just five minutes late, he was thirty five minutes late.  Inwardly I was cranky because a) the rude lateness with no heads up, and then b) I like to listen to my music in the car but my son isn't a huge fan of most of it, plus he asked me not to talk (and said no offense mom, I just don't want you to embarrass me) so c) I couldn't talk or listen to music for the 35 minute drive.  Then d) I have an issue with my eyes so driving at night isn't my favorite, and driving at night with tons of bright flashing roadwork in my eyes with no music to relax me sucked.  And last but certainly not least, e) Alex called me eleven hundred times to firm up the fact that I wasn't mad at him and he didn't do it on purpose.  Which got a little annoying.


So finally, I made it to the theater and dropped the kids off.  Then I turned on my music nice and loud while I drove around looking for parking.  Alex and I met up and pretty much settled on the only movie that was playing around the same time as the movie the kids were seeing.  Then because we were a little late, dinner ended up being food court pizza.  I like pizza, and I admit this particular pizza was good, but originally we were going to go to the Cheesecake Factory.  So you can see why food court pizza didn't exactly measure up. 


We wrapped up kind of quick then headed up to the movie.  We were close to when it started, so Alex got on line for popcorn, and I went in to get our seats.  I hate missing the previews.  Well, to add to the suckiness, there were hardly any seats left for that shitty movie.  So I ended up having to sit in the middle, which I hate.  I strongly prefer an aisle.  I had some girl on one side of me so I had to be all nice about my elbow placement.  Grr.  Unfortunately, Alex was seated next to a guy that smelled like he spent the night in a dutch oven.


He had to inwardly plug his nose for pretty much the entire bad movie.  I actually thought it was karmic and  got several chuckles at his expense just watching him be grossed out about it.  

2 comments:

  1. We have theaters here that do assigned seating. Which is awesome in cases just like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jessee ... you make me laugh, girlfriend! And I LOVE your new header!

    ReplyDelete