Thursday, September 8, 2011

Two truths and a lie.

Hey, have you ever played this game?  Two truths and a lie is kind of self explanatory, don't you think?  But for all of you short bus riders people out there who don't understand, I will provide the rules for you.  You offer up two truths, and one lie.  And then like, people are supposed to guess which is the lie.  Get it?

I am sure you all get it, because you know, we're all a bunch of geniuses here.  At least I know I am.  Anyway.  Wanna play?  If you continue reading, I'll know you want to play.

If you are still reading at this point, clearly you are playing.

Still here?  I know, I know. I write a riveting post.  It's hard to look away.

Fine, fine.  Let's get on with it.  Two truths and a lie.

(1)  One time when my son was a baby and in daycare, my husband and I went to a picnic that the daycare was throwing for all of the families from the center.  I don't typically do well in crowds and in places where I don't know a lot of people, but I was working it.  I got on line and filled a plate with all sorts of picnic foods, then I got a plate together for Alex because I am such a kind and thoughtful wife like that.  I proceeded to walk across the huge gym to the other side where my husband was standing and talking. I'm sure he was talking to people he didn't know, because that's just what he does.  Anyway, I was balancing two full plates in my hands when somehow, I managed to trip over air.  But because my hands were full, I had no way to break my fall, so the two plates flew through the air, and I landed flat on my face in the middle of the floor, surrounded by every last thing that was flung off of our plates.  Flat on my face, in a gym full of strangers.  Which all of a sudden got very quiet.  So yeah, there was no pretending it didn't happen.  As I glance up absolutely horrified at my huge public mortifying display, I see my husband hysterically laughing across the room.  Knee slapping, tears running down your face hysterical laughing.  Laughing so hard apparently, that he couldn't help me up.  A really nice man eventually gave me a hand.  I slipped out of there pretty much immediately after cleaning the floor of my salads.  And I didn't speak to my husband the whole way home. 

(2)  Back in my early twenties, I worked at a lumberyard.  I was always surrounded by guys.  I had been single and kind of lonesome for a while.  Most of the guys that came in were older, and kind of grungy looking, and in all honesty, not what I thought I was looking for.  It always sort of surprised me that out of all of the guys that came in, none were ever my type.  So anyway, I had just started seeing this guy who worked in one of our other branches, it was a pretty new relationship.  He was a little intense, but I liked him enough.  So one day, I was doing my thing, whatever that was, and out of the corner of my eye, I noticed the cutest kid with the nicest white teeth and pink cheeks, and he was smiling at me.  Cute, young guys with nice teeth and pink cheeks never came in and smiled at me, so it was kind of awesome.  Then he kind of followed me and struck up a conversation and asked me for my number.  I was momentarily surprised and caught off guard, and for some reason I didn't just mention that I was seeing someone.  It was the bright blue eyes that threw me off.  So I panicked and gave him my mother's phone number because I didn't want to give him mine - what if he called and the new guy was there??.  I don't know what I was thinking, I was mentally juggling.  Anyway, I stopped at my mom's on the way home from work and she told me that a guy had called for me.  I don't know if I thought he wouldn't call, but I was mortified that I gave him a fake/real number, and decided not to call him back.  Except the next day, he came right into my work and called me out on it.  And he was so adorable and bold and nice that I actually went out with him a few times on the sly before he left for boot camp (he was a Marine).  I never confessed to my juggling the two boys.  Then things got way more serious with the other guy after white teeth cutie guy went off to boot camp, so I reluctantly had to send a Dear John.  He was so mad and hurt at me.  I still feel guilty.

(3)  One time in eleventh grade, our class went on a field trip to Hershey Park in Pennsylvania.  I was dating this kid everyone called Boo at the time.  So anyway, we all rode in the big comfy bus to Hershey.  The ride seemed to take forever, but I was with a group of people that I liked hanging out with, so it was fun.  It was a really hot day, close to the end of the school year, and everyone was in shorts and tank tops wearing their Olivia Newton-John style headbands.  O h, whatever!  Back in the day, they were cool! I think?   Anyway, we spent the day roaming the park,  eating tons of yummy fried park-type food, cotton candy and Hershey's chocolates, riding all of the rides we could.  Everything was perfect.  As the day began to wind down, a big group of us decided to ride this one last ride.  I can't remember what it was called but you walked into this circular thing and stood with your back to the wall.  When the ride started, it  just spun in circles.  It was spinning faster and faster and faster, til you were plastered to the wall and you really couldn't move.  Some kids were way up the wall, some were sideways, all of us though were completely unable to move away from the wall.  It was like velcro.  It was really funny.  As the ride was winding down, this kid Joey, who was standing next to my boyfriend, all of a sudden turned our way and just threw up all of the day's park food.  Right in my boyfriend's hair.  Which caused him to throw up.  Which caused me to throw up.   So we ended our day with a chain reaction puke session and had to suffer through the entire ride home reeking of vomit.

So there you go.  Have at it guys.  Only one of these are a lie.  Which one do you think it is?

2 comments:

  1. Oh gosh. I have thought about this (in between laughing myself silly) and I am torn between two----I was thinking that I'd pick number one as a lie because surely your hubby would have rushed over to help you out. Otherwise, surely he was in for more than just the silent treatment on the ride home. LOL And then I thought number two was the lie but no real reason for thinking that. I never thought number three was a lie which might mean that it is indeed the lie. SO I'm going with number 1. How's that for a wordy comment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, this is hard! You are a good storyteller, even when one is a lie. (Unless everything is true, except for one teeny tiny part that makes it a lie. Then you're just cruel.) :)

    I'll guess the vomit chain reaction thing is a lie. Please. I hope. Otherwise, gross.

    ReplyDelete