Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Just stand up and fight like an ogre!



The other morning Brooke and I were lounging in bed snuggling, and I mentioned that it was about time to get up and get ready for school.  She glances over at me with her finger in her mouth and her blankie mushed up in her hands and says, "Why does school have to be so early?  I'm freaking tired!"

In my defense, I don't think I say freaking that often. 

But there was that little incident a month or so back when Brooke asked me all innocently, "Who the hell was that?"  when someone drove past us at the gas station. 

I suppose it could be way worse than freaking and hell.  I definitely am not exactly for swearing at my kids or in front of them really.  I think the worst they have heard me say is damn.  Yeah, I know how to curb it.  I am rather fond of swearing in my head.

Not that I don't love to throw out some awesome swear words as needed.  I just know my audience.  Knowing your audience is a very important thing.  It is actually something that I say to my kids all of the time.  Particularly Alex, who thinks mentioning something gross or inappropriate that someone at school did is good fodder for dinner table talk.

Is that the kind of thing you should be saying in front of your little sisters?   No, no it is not.  Would your grandmother want to hear that piggish joke you told your cousin?  Is that appropriate?  No, no it is not.  Or, would all of your relatives on your facebook profile appreciate that rude little comment you posted thinking you were being witty?  No, I'm thinking that they would not.

Know your audience.  Good rule to follow.

Anyway, Brooke is really funny.  She comes out with these hysterical one liners that seem to be so out of nowhere.  Yesterday she and Megan were hanging out on my bed, just talking to me while I was doing something, and Brooke hops up to her feet and puts her dukes up and says to Megan in all seriousness and rough-like, "Just stand up and fight like an Ogre!"  and then she proceeds to say, "I have my underwear on over my underwear!"  And she flashed us her two layers of underwear.  And ran giggling from the room to get more underwear layers on.

Who does that?

1 comment:

  1. Your kids are just too dang cute! And I'm NOT telling you what one or two of mine might have said when they were little. But they got it from their dad. Yeah, that's right. From their dad. LOL

    ReplyDelete