Thursday, September 29, 2011

really sucked in

So last year my son came home from school talktalktalking my ear off about a book he had to read for a book report.  I was sooo interested guys. No really, I was interested because my boy is not a big reader and he seemed kind of into this book.  So I actually listened attentively.

So whatever, he told me the whole plot (In lengthy detail.  I wonder where he gets his windiness from?)  and I thought, sounds like a book he would like, good YA book, you know?

Then.  Then, you guys.  I ended up reading the book recently and omg.  My life was at a stand still for like four days.  In a row.  Not that it takes me four days to read a book, because hello?  I am a book reading wizard.  A professional.  No, four days because I had to run my ass right up to Target and buy the second and third books.  Because there was no way I was waiting for my turn at the damn library.

I bet you are wondering right now what Young Adult books made me lose four days of my life.  And you might also be wondering if I am immature because I appreciate a good Young Adult book.  You may be on to something there. 

You know, I don't do book reviews here, but I might have to make a freaking exception because I loved these books.



OK, fine.  Relax.  I'm ready to share now.  The book was the Hunger Games*, by Suzanne Collins.  Followed by Catching Fire and Mockingjay.  I was really really sucked in and I couldn't put any of them down.  I recognize that these books have been out there for a bit.  I mean, all three of the books in the series were readily available, like, right there on the shelf ready for me.  I think my sister or niece mentioned it during our vacation and said that the movie was coming out in 2012, so I put it on my Books to read list.  It was right under Push by Sapphire (gah, terrible sad horrible thought provoking book that the movie Precious was based on), and since I finished that and was in book reading mode, it was next in line and I was needing something to sink my teeth into.

I like to go in order.  Besides, I can't stand seeing the movie before reading the book.  It throws me off.

So anyway, I am not exactly reviewing this book (series), because I am not that great at reviewing.  I like to consider myself a pretty literate person, but I can't seem to get past the accolades.  Mainly I just say things like, It was great!  or, I loved it!  or, OMFG so awesome!  Probably not exactly like the kind of reviews you check out in the book review section of People magazine or something.  And in all honesty, once you wrap up this post you will have absolutely nothing to base your possible decision to read this book series on.  Except, if I am going to put myself out there and say I really loved something, then seriously you might want to just peek at it.  Read a chapter or two.  Because, omfg, so awesome!

*If you want to really read like, normal reviews of the book, you can click on the link.

Fine.  Here is a little clip from one of the reviews on Amazon if you don't feel like clicking the link:
"Wow. I was barely able to put this book down for a second after the first few pages got me completely hooked. Suzanne Collins narrative here has an immediacy to it that, when combined with the very dramatic life-or-death plot, is incredibly compelling. It's entertaining, and incredibly disturbing all at once. If this was merely a good read, I would have given it 4 stars, but they say great art leaves you changed after you experience it... and this book definitely did that. Suzanne Collins has, with one amazing work, propelled herself onto my top shelf.

Parents, caveat emptor! The storyline is brutal. Even though the writing is geared for young adults, the main characters are teenagers, there's very little physical romance, and the actual violence would probably count as PG-13 nowadays... it's probably one of the most terrifying books I've read in a very long time! Right up there with George R.R. Martin, if not more so. Remember what we learned from Jaws: you don't actually need to SEE the shark in order for it to be terrifying. Sometimes not seeing the shark is even worse.

The story is basically about a teenager who is forced to compete in a 24-man-enter-1-man-leaves event. I don't want to spoil it by saying any more, but if you liked The Running Man, you'll definitely like this. And if you're young enough that you don't remember The Running Man, nor did you get the Thunderdome reference, then I'm just way too old. But take an old fogey's advice and read this book. "

5 comments:

  1. They must be that good, cause the sucked Jake right in and he is not my "reader", he only reads what he has too. But he read all three books in less than a week. The plus for him, he had three months worth of book report reading all done!

    He can't decide if he wants to see the movie. . .he doesn't think it will measure up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no. Not you too?! I will NOT see a movie before I read the book. Even if it means I never see the movie. Can't do it. Won't do it. It's just not natural.

    I'll check these out! If Stephen King doesn't mind. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband just started book three today, and he is NOT a reader AT ALL. One of his colleagues talked him into starting the series, and sure enough, he has fallen in love. (I read them last year.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished the first one!!! So good and a quick read too :) Not sure how i feel about Jessica Lawrence as the lead... shes not really what I pictured but we'll see...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read them all in a flurry of a weekend or two. Loved them. Another teen lit you will like since you liked these is called Graceling. It's not a series - just the one book. I liked it as much as the Hunger Games stuff. Read it and let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete