Wednesday, September 7, 2011

To drink, or not to drink? That is the question.



I think it's high time I started drinking.  Not in an "It's five o'clock somewhere," kind of way.  I mean, like just being able to drink a few drinks without hating it kind of way.

I have never been too fond of alcohol.  I remember my first real experience with alcohol, and it didn't end so great.  I was like 15ish, and it was the last day of school.  I tagged along with my older sister to some summery hang out near by.  Sitting in the grass with a big crew of my sisters friends, I went for it.  I know I went for it because I was a little uncomfy - nervous and feeling out of place.  These guys were older, I wanted to fit in. 

I believe the drink was called Tangeray.  Or something like that.  It was orange and tasted like Tang.  Remember Tang?  I wonder if they still have that.

So of course I overdid it.  I had no idea what was too much, and all I remember is eventually acting stupid and leaving.  Then my sister walked me around town trying to get me to sober up.  Then she made me take a cool shower before mom got home from work.  I climbed into bed after that - totally still drunk, and my mom came in, took one look at me and shouted, "You're as drunk as a skunk!"  And I laughed in her face.  Because, who says that?

Then I got grounded for a few weeks.  Obviously.  I was pretty much grounded for my entire high school life anyway.  We referred to it as being on groundation.  I was always doing something to get in trouble - like being late for my curfew every single time I went out.   Actually, I think my mom tried to find reasons to ground me to keep me from hanging out with my boyfriend. 

So anyway, why would you order scallops if you don't like scallops?  It's kind of like that for me, in my head.  And out of my head sometimes too.

I'll have some drinks once or twice a year maybe, but in all honestly, alcoholically speaking, nothing I have had has ever been good enough for me to really like more than a glass of ice water.  Except a daiquiri.  But that's kind of a joke -- that's more like a dessert than a drink.  And I like dessert.

I've tried beer.  I've tried liquor.  I've tried mixed drinks.  I've tried those wine cooler type things, which now that I think of it aren't the worst things ever.  But alcohol generally tastes bad to my taste buds.  I truly have to force a drink down if I have one. 

Pretty much everyone in my circle of people drinks.  Lucky dogs get a designated driver everywhere we go.  So pretty much everyone drinks except my sister Jen, who maybe has a drink or two a year, and my husband, who isn't much of a lush at all.  He actually often gets accused of sandbagging.  I mean, he likes a couple of beers every now and then, but we never have any just sitting there in the fridge to crack open after a long day of work.  Speaking of work, Alex orders martinis or a gin and tonic when he is out with clients and stuff, but secretly I don't think he likes them even though he says he does  I think he just wants to look like a hot shot.

Now that I think of it, most of the people in my circle are a bunch of drunks.  Mostly happy drunks.  Not fall down sloppy drunks, with the exception of one or two.  Just, they really enjoy their drinks.

Every time I try to drink for whatever reason, I end up regretting it.  Either I say something dumb, become a close talker, slur like an idiot or feel sick. 

What's so great about that anyway?

2 comments:

  1. I don't drink much either. I have only been truly drunk twice in my life and I remember those times vividly---hugging the porcelain king part anyway--back in my college days. Anymore, after about half a glass of wine, I'm nearly loopy. Sometimes it's fun to watch others though. But, other times, not so much. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't drink, nor ever have. But most of my social circle is a bunch of uptight Mormons, so it's not really an issue. :)

    ReplyDelete