Thursday, September 1, 2011

a little bit six

My baby had her birthday a few weeks ago.  Brooke is officially six years old now. 



It's hard to believe.  She seems to be getting bigger and smarter and more grown up every day.  I have to admit, it feels a little hard to accept at times.  I miss her little baby self.  Since last year she's grown 3 inches and gained 6 pounds!

Waking up on her birthday morning, I was remembering the way Brooke came into this world, unexpectedly, so early in the morning.   The drive to the hospital that morning seemed to take forever, and making my way to the Labor and Delivery floor seemed to take forever too.  And in keeping with the theme, the girl at the intake desk seemed to take her sweet time.  While I was standing there bleeding, like a lot,  and Alex and I looked at each other thinking, really?

After an intense and scary bit of time, seeing my little girlie, healthy pink and round headed with thick blond hair,  I remember feeling so relieved.  Feeling loopy from meds but happy.   Not too happy that I couldn't hold her, but happy that she was there.



She started out as such a peaceful little one.  That ended after the first two weeks.  I think she was being nice to me while I recovered from my first c-section.  Then, POW, right in the kisser.  I had a cry baby.  Lots and lots and lots of crying.  She was generally uncomfortable a lot, and as with the other kids, seemed to have an intolerance for her formula.  It was pretty hard.  She had an infection that put her in the hospital for a week when she was just under two months old.  I was definitely feeling stressed.  For the first time in like ever, I had dust bunnies on my stairs.



But eventually we got it under control.  She was a great sleeper and napper, and slept through the night in her crib pretty much after just a few months.
She was my little side-kick.  The peanut butter to my jelly.  I didn't ever really go anywhere without her, her diaper bag and a baba or two.




Looking back now, those younger years just flew by.  Sitting to crawling to walking to running.  She was always trying so hard to catch up with the older kids.  Pre-school to Kindergarten, and now first grade.  Wow.






Now, this little funny girl, my little girl who loves to be entertained, who loves her sisters and brother, who loves being the center of attention, is six.  SIX.  Every day she says something to make me smile or laugh, testing out her skills at joke telling.  She is a lover of snuggling, and still manages to climb into my bed in the early morning hours daily.  Miss Independent who wants to be grown up, loves Barbies and baby dolls and books and reading every night.  She loves playing Toy Story and princesses and dress up.  She loves riding bikes and playing soccer and swimming in the deep end.  She loves her blankie.  She's such a happy, carefree kid.



It seems like every day is a new adventure for this little girl of mine.  How do I make time sand still?

2 comments:

  1. If I had figured that out I wouldn't be living in this empty nest---the lovelies would still be little! All four of them!

    Such a beautifully written post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a really handsome six year old first grader, you know. We should get these two together in like 20 years :)

    ReplyDelete