Thursday, April 12, 2012

getaway

It's been such a nice lazy week.  


For April break, we don't typically go away.  Usually we go away during the February break to Disney or something, but this year we pretty much didn't do that either because Ali ruined Christmas.  I do like going away for sure, but I really didn't mind sticking around home this time for some reason.  We were tossing around the idea of going to CT for a long weekend to hang with my sister, but then her kids don't have their break the same time as ours, so it just wasn't seeming to work out.


Anyway, at the last minute, we decided to go here for a few days.  It's this massive old resort place up in the mountains that kind of looks like Hogwarts.  We used to go there every year with the whole family, but it got a little ridiculous, price-wise.  When I could pretty much send my daughter to college for a semester on what it costs for three nights with the family at this place, I was thinking maybe we should find another spot that is a little more affordable.






One of the great things about it though, is that it's in easy driving distance - only about an hour or so away.  And the food is out of control amazing, and all inclusive.  AND there are tons of gorgeous hiking trails.  And oh my, the spa... I already have a hot rock massage booked.  I seriously cannot wait.  It's just going to be really nice and relaxing.  Also, they have tea and cookies in the fancy room every afternoon.  How can you beat tea and cookies in the fancy room?  And Ms. Pac Man!  Yeah, they have Ms. Pac Man in the game room, so I have a roll of quarters and I am ready to use it because I rock at that game, and I may very well play til my eyes get buggy.


So the last time we went, Brooke was little, just a cutie little babe.  It's been a while!  And we've never been to this place in the spring, so it should be nice, different.  It's actually supposed to be a gorgeous weekend weather-wise, so I'm really looking forward to getting some good fresh mountain air.


I haven't actually even started packing yet.  I better get on that because apparently we're heading out in the next hour or two.  Packing to go to this fancy place always reminds me of showing up there the first year with my sister Ali, who packed all of her things in those little white plastic grocery bag things.  Like clothes and blankets and toiletries and stuff all spilling out, and the doorman concierge guy trying to wrangle everything onto one of those luggage carts.  It was so freaking hilarious.  She bought real luggage the next year out of utter embarrassment I think.


So I am bringing my good camera this time, because there are just so many beautiful things to take pictures of.  I'll definitely post more later.

6 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing! I want to live it vicariously through you, so please take lots of details and I can't wait for the blog post(s)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And by details, of course I meant pictures. And remember the details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that place looks incredible! Can't wait to see pics. BTW - good news! You're my F-R-R-R-iday referral this week! Have a great weekend. http://live-by-rule2.blogspot.com/2012/04/f-r-r-r-iday.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me at "hot rock massage." *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  5. that looks fantastic! and the name sounds funny in my head. like i want to say it out loud.
    it's pretty close to where i grew up. we lived in latham, ny all through my teenage years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there, I saw you as Melissa's Friday Referral! Enjoy your vacation, it looks amazing. I wonder, is it in New Hampshire?
    take care,
    Lisa Weinstein
    www.lisagradessweinstein.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete