Thursday, February 24, 2011

Crazy Indulgence

I am currently on winter break with the kids, so I will be posting previous entries for the week. Since readership was a little on the light side back then, most of you probably haven't seen these.



I can't believe I am going to post this, because I KNOW if my sister's are reading, I will get harassed. But here goes.


A few weeks ago, I stopped over at my friend Merry's house to see what she had done with the place, since she just bought it. On a more accurate note, my sister Ali tricked me into coming over, with the line that I could check out what Merry had done with the place, because she knew if she said it was a little get-together I would never go. Because the old social anxiety thing creeps up when I think there might be too many people there...


ANYWAY, I was TRICKED into going to Merry's, but when I got there, I ended up having a great time (as is usually the case). A few friends were there, and the house looked great, and then Merry offered me a Mojito. I don't drink really, hardly ever. Usually, it's a sorry sight when I do, but for some reason, I went with it. The first thing I noticed when I put the glass to my mouth wasn't the smell of the alcohol that rarely is that close to my nose, but the AMAZING feeling of the heavy glass that the drink was actually in. I know, I know, I am weird like that.


So, the drink was good, I admit, but I wanted to smuggle the glass home to be my very special glass that I get to use without sharing. I wanted that glass. I coveted it. So, I asked Merry where she got it. If I didn't do that, I may very well have snuck it in my purse. Not really, but only because I didn't have my purse with me.

So Merry said she got them as a wedding gift, but they were made by the company Simon Pearce. So I thought, I will go home and order my OWN set of glasses, just because I liked them so much, and I don't usually buy myself anything. So I went right home and googled Simon Pearce, and I found the site and I was so excited. Then I started searching the site and I was not so excited. Because EACH INDIVIDUAL glass was priced at $55.00. Yes, 55 American dollars, you read it right. So I didn't order them. How could I?? Who buys a drinking glass for 55 bucks?? Even if it is hand blown and created by a Master Glassblowing Artisian.




But... it was eating at me. For a few days I was crazy about those damn glasses. The weight of them felt perfect in my hand. I NEEDED one. So I did the next best thing and searched eBay. I have no problem buying a used glass if it meant that I could just have one of my very own. And the exciting thing is, that I FOUND it! I found a set of four that were new even. And I bought them.


I BOUGHT THEM.


And I am not going to tell you the price because it is embarrassing. But I will confess that they were a good amount less than the price that was listed in the catalog. And that's what made me decide to buy a whole set of four. My glasses just came in the mail, and they are great! I LOVE them! And I am glad I bucked up because they make me happy every single day.

Really.

2 comments:

  1. While you're not sharing I guess you did put a price on happiness. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so funny. I always think that about her glasses. FYI...she goes by Merredith now.

    ReplyDelete