Friday, March 30, 2012

what would Jessee do

What Would Jessee Do?
That is the question.


The other night I saw this comedian on TV, and he was doing this sketch about how his 18 year old self reacted to situations vs. how his 25 year old and 40 year old self would react to the same situations.  It was really funny, and it really made me think about myself, and how my reactions to things have changed over time.


So I took his questions and applied them to me - 18 year old me, and 40(42!) year old me.  

1. Someone encourages you to have a drink (or substance) that you don't like or want:
WWJD?
18 yr old self - Take it and either drink it or pretend to drink it.  I was always so worried that I would look like a baby or not cool.  I did some really dumb things because of that, and many a plant ended up downing a glass of rum.
40 yr old self - Say no thanks.  If I don't want something, I feel no pressure what-so-ever to fit in at this point in my life.

2. Your boyfriend or girlfriend was acting distant:
WWJD?
18 yr old self - Be pissed, then probably turn it around and be distant back to him.  Because who does he think he is anyway??! 
40 yr old self - Talk.  Ask if something is up.  Try to work things out. 

3. Someone gossips about you, true or not, it's not nice at all:
WWJD?
18 yr old self - I would be devastated.  But I would so act like I didn't care, and nobody would ever see me cry over something like that.   
40 yr old self - I would be mad.  I would either A: get to the source, and confront them.  I hate confrontation, but I would not let anyone talk crap about me without speaking up.  or B: I would give the evil eye every time I saw them and never speak to them again. (I'm guessing it would be B.  I might talk big, but I really am not so good at confrontation)

4. A guy asks for your number, but you are already committed to someone:
WWJD?
18 yr old self - I probably would give them someone else's number, because I never wanted to hurt anyone's feelings.  Actually, I did do that once.  But the guy was so freaking ADORABLE, I couldn't even tell him I was dating someone else.  Then he called and found out I gave him a fake number and he came to my work and confronted me about it.  Then I went out with him because I couldn't even help myself.  But that's a long story.
40 yr old self - I would say "Do you know how old and wrinkly I am?? Thanks anyway, but someone's already stuck with me."

5. You get stuck behind an old fogey doing about 15 in a 55 MPH zone:
WWJD?
18 yr old self - Probably fume.  Then ride his tail, then pass him on a double line.  I am ashamed to admit I was obnoxious like that.
40 yr old self - Seriously, I would chill and wait it out.  I don't sweat the small stuff anymore.  I usually create these little scenarios in my head as to why they are driving so slow, and honest to Cod, I usually smile about it.

6. Someone is really rude to you, and it's uncalled for:
WWJD?

18 yr old self -  I am sure I would just stand there and do nothing.  I would take it, I had no guts to stand up to people who were mean to me.
40 yr old self - I would definitely (and I have) speak up.  I would also say don't be rude to me.  And in a rare occasion I could possibly give them the finger behind their back but I would never admit it.   Then I would go home and replay the incident in my head 87 times and come up with brilliant things that I should have said in the moment.

7. You trip in front of a large group of people and fall flat (FLAT) on your face with two plates full of food that ultimately go flying on the floor in front of you (not that this has ever happened to me before.  well, maybe.):
WWJD?
20 something yr old self - Lay there for a second while your mortified husband laughs so hysterically that someone else's husband feels sorry for you and helps you up.  Then slink away, far far away.  And hope you never run into that same group of people, ever again.  And hope that if you do happen to run into one of them, they don't recognize you standing upright.
40 yr old self - probably the same thing...

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea for a post! I'd love to hear the stories behind #4 and #7. Please share! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you may need a bigger allen wrench...

    ReplyDelete