Tuesday, June 14, 2011

summah

Well, the count down is on.  This is officially the last full week of school for my kids.  Then, these monkey kids of mine will be home all day.  Every day.  For a lot of days in a row even.



No lounging on my comfy red chair for a ridiculous amount of time.  No running to the store at whim.  Well, I can still run whimsically, I just will have a kid or three with me.  Which isn't exactly my favorite way to go grocery shopping, let me tell you.


Did you ever notice that when you have your kids or husband with you, your grocery bill seems to be way higher?  It is a proven fact I think, that their presence alone makes the damage at the checkout much worse.  I used to have this goal every week to get out of the grocery store paying under a hundred bucks.  Hahaha! ::hysterical laughing::  Wasn't that a funny goal?


But really, I try!  Most times I can do it in under $120, but if I am not alone, things get messy.  Like, I don't feel the need to buy misc grocery things that I never buy.  Particularly, expensive ice cream treats, expensive hair care stuff, crackers, candy and cookies.  Or grass seed.  Or spray cleaner stuff for cars.  Or workout DVDs that I am not ever going to use.

Yeah, I like to get in and out without deviating from my tried and true list.  But deviations definitely occur with the fam involved.


My kid is the one with the ball, in grey
 Anyway, back to my kids and summer vaca.  Actually, my summer is pretty solid.  We have a lot going on, and I really feel like my kids will be going back to school before we know it.  As much as I like my current routine, I do like when the kids are around.  I like to watch them swim, ride bikes, play their summer sports, make lemonade stands.  I like that they are free to sleep in and be lazy.  Not too lazy of course, more like relaxed.


I once again, am planning on making a list of things we want to do/accomplish this summer.  Because I love lists.  And my favorite thing to do is cross things off of lists.  Hopefully this summer I will be more successful in actually doing stuff.  Or maybe just being free of lists is better.  Ah, I don't know.  I like to have a general plan of action, ideas about things to do that will entertain everyone.

Which, you know, is actually kind of stupid.  I remember when I was a kid, and it was summer vacation, my mom was kind of like, "go play," or "go find something to do."  Then she'd push us outside and lock the door til dinner.  No, just kidding.  But she didn't go out and play with us.  She didn't organize kickball games or push us on the swings.  She didn't sit out in the sandbox making mini people villages with us.  Pretty much the most my mom participated in our summer fun was to watch us at the pool to make sure we didn't drown.

Why can't I just do that??

1 comment:

  1. I don't know- I couldn't do it either. I was outside with the lovelies and all the other kids in the area. Maybe it's because our parents didn't have to worry as much about perverts who prey on unsupervised kids? In my opinion, they didn't know what they were missing! I had a blast with the lovelies!

    ReplyDelete