Tuesday, June 28, 2011

speaking of wildlife

I live in the "country."  Or kind of the country.  I grew up in my little country town, so seeing forms of wildlife around here isn't all that unusual.  But the animals we usually see around are more like deer and annoying cute bunnies.  Eating things out of my garden.

So this past weekend it was all about the baby opossums of course, but guess what I saw last night on my walk?  Baby skunks!  Three of them!

They were so (stinking) cute.  They were rolling around on the neighbor's lawn like fluffy little kittens playing.  I had my iPhone with me, so I debated taking a picture to show my kids, but then I was thinking the photo op wasn't worth potentially scaring the spray out of them.

Just take my word for it, cutest ever.

And then a bat tried to fly into my hair and thankfully I didn't scream like the girl that I am.  I think it was dive bombing bugs.  Apparently my hair looks like a bug's nest?  Do bugs even have nests?  So then one of the bugs dive bombed my eyeball and let me tell you, have you ever gotten a bug in the eye?  Because it doesn't tickle!  It burned.  So I had a burny eyeball, but on the plus side, I was in the homestretch so I just sucked it up.

We also have foxes (Foxes?  Is that the right plural form?  I think it is but I'm too lazy to check.  I'm going with it.).  That's the thing, walking at night.  I look around a lot, like I am always looking at things like the observer that I am, but in the dark, I could really miss a skunk!  And walk straight in his path!  Or a fox, who I'm sure would bite my leg.

I feel like a wildlife blogger.  Are there wildlife bloggers?

OK, OK, I'll stop taking about animals now.

3 comments:

  1. Seriously? I know that I am not far from you and I am MORE country... and I never see this stuff... just deer - everywhere. Although my grandparents did once have a pet fox once... his name was Foxy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've found your niche! Jessee - Wildlife Vlogger!

    Another wildlife story from my misspent youth. I went to a high school out in the country. It was a large old (Victorian style) building with high ceilings throughout. I had probably seen bats in the school but never noticed until the day I found one IN THE TOILET ... when I turned around afterwards to flush! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Me too! Post Gifs!!! (Old internet joke.)

    I know there are farmer bloggers so I'm sure there must be wildlife bloggers.

    ReplyDelete