Tuesday, May 17, 2011

this Judgement Day isn't very convenient for me


You know how apparently the world is supposed to end on May 21, 2011?


Well, it just occurred to me that the date isn't all that convenient for me.  I mean, my daughter is graduating from college.  Is that irony?  Like, she just spent the last four years working hard to ensure her future, and damn, the day she is supposed to graduate, her future is over?  And then, my son will be traveling home from Washington DC on a bus jam packed with a bunch of noisy teenagers... I mean, if the world is going to end, can't I just pile up somewhere with my family and have us all be together?  So we can face Judgement Day together?


Look, if Saturday really is the Rapture, then I will stand on top of a mountain somewhere and apologize for all of the world to hear that I was such a naysayer.  But I'm pretty sure that is not going to happen.


I am not mocking the people that believe in this pivotal event.  Well, maybe a little but I can't help it. 


Do you realize how many times people have (unsuccessfully) predicted the Rapture in the past?  Like, how do the believers justify it the day after, when we are all still here, as effed up as ever?  Effed up but still alive and not in Heaven.


I just read something about this guy who is based out in Oakland, CA that is really vocal about his belief that Saturday is going to be the beginning of the end.  In fact, I actually think he was the original predictor of the date.  Apparently, an earthquake will set in motion the world's flooding.  Like Noah's Ark or something.  So don't worry guys, you are not necessarily going to all die on Saturday. Just so we are all in the know, the earthquake and flood supposedly will kill a lot of people, but the final day is really on October 21, 2011.  That's the day that the world will be consumed in fire.  So mark your calendars.


I am sorry but I can't buy into all of this doomsday predicting stuff.  I mean, it's just silly to get yourself crazy about it.  Because if was something that God has etched in stone, something that was real and true, there is nothing we can do about it.  We can't stockpile, or build an underground house, or run off to a deserted island.  We won't be able to escape it.  It's out of our control.  Right?

Ah, to each his own.  I recognize that this might come off as offensive to some, but I'm not trying to be offensive.  Just exercising my right to not believe that Saturday at 6 pm sharp, I am officially effed.

As far as I'm concerned, I plan on enjoying my Saturday.  And I plan on enjoying Sunday, May 22 as well.  Maybe I will even go to church.

4 comments:

  1. Ditto Beth!!

    ::snort::

    Seriously, I believe in the day happening...just not being predicted and yeah, it would totally suck for her to have worked so hard and not get to graduate like planned...or graduate...and not get to do anything with all that hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, someone told me that day would come on the 21st of December 2012!

    I hope they are wrong because there is no way I could cram for my Final Exam between now and Saturday. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too funny. . . wouldnt want to waste all that tuition money!

    ReplyDelete