Thursday, May 26, 2011

mama kat and a blog funk

Since I've been feeling the boggy blahs for a while, I decided to take a few writing prompts from Mama Kat to help inspire me. I think I have a bloggy crush on Mama Kat -  is totally cool, and I want to be her BBF. Hello, in case you didn't know, BBF = Best Bloggy Friend.  Bloggy is a dumb word.  One might wonder why I said it practically eleven times in my opening paragraph then.  It's just that it makes me think of a froggy and I just don't love those little slimy things.  Apparently, frogs really aren't slimy, but they look slimy.  And I have no desire to touch them, like ever.  I mean, I don't want to run them over with the mower or anything, but I definitely don't want to make one my pet.


Anyway, writing prompt from Mama Kat's Writing Workshop, right.


So here is a very appropriate prompt:  What have you been busy doing that’s keeping you from updating your blog? How hard is it for you to get back into the swing of blogging when you take time off?


So here's the thing.  I have really been a busy gal lately.  Remember the good old days, when I could somehow spend 6 glorious hours perusing the Internets, reading and commenting on my favorite blogs, and writing witty posts?  Well, maybe the posts weren't all that witty, but let's pretend they were.  Yeah, well it seems like those days are over!

I mean, all of a sudden, it seems like those six hours I get are being taken up by other things.  A while back, my mornings went something like this: drop kids off at school, make lovely cup of coffee, settle in on my comfy chair with lovely cup of coffee, get caught up in everyone else's lives on the Internet for an embarrassing amount of hours,  quickly do a few chores,  pick up the kids after school.  Occasionally in there I might get up to go to the bathroom or get a drink.

And now, my mornings go something like this:  drop kids off at school, go walk on the track for a bit, make and eat some breakfast, take a shower, do some chores, maybe read a few blogs, pick kids up from school.

What happened there was that I added walking in the mornings to my line up, and dumped coffee.  Before, I would wait til the kids were in bed to walk.  Now I do both, because I can't give up the night walk.   It's so peaceful.  And dark.  And moon shiny.  But it seems that the morning walk throws everything off.  It means I take my shower after the kids are at school, where I used to do it before they went.  And I used to never eat breakfast, but now I definitely make a point to have breakfast, and to sit down at the table and enjoy it.  Who knew that stuff would take up so much of my blogging time? 

So, in a long-winded nutshell, that is the main thing that has changed.    But also, this time of year is the beginning of the craziness around here.  I have every kid's birthday in a row, one each month starting in May.  Then I had Kar's graduation, and next will be her graduation party, father's day, school gets out for the summer, an out of state wedding for a long weekend out west, a two week vacation down south, seven immediate family birthday's, tons of kids activities/sports/camps, and whoa.  Those are just the things I can think of off of the top of my head.  I'm wiped out just imagining my next few months.  Once fall rolls around, it calms down again.  I do love the summer though.

And for the second question, how hard is it for me to get back into the swing of blogging after taking time off?  Pretty hard.  I'll admit it.  I feel less and less that I have anything of value to share, and it sort of gets me in a vicious cycle writing funk thing.  That's why I am going to do some of these prompts for a bit, to see if it helps get me back into the swing of things.  Hopefully I won't bore you all off before I'm swinging along like before.

And now, I have to go work on a post for my friend over at Empty Nest.   Also, I am going to link up to Jenny Matlock's Alphabe-Thursday, because of my annoying blog FUNK.  Since it is F week, I'm thinking it is appropriate.  

8 comments:

  1. I have issues with time also. I just don't have any! But I try to spend a little time every day on my writing and it really makes me feel less funky and quite a bit more happy...

    I don't post every day, but I do write every day....

    hang in there!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. JDaniel's naps are getting shorter. My world is shifting to meet his awake time.

    A night walk sounds just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in a huge blogging funk too and the memes and writing prompts helped a lot. They also taught me to write a little faster. (I'd spend much too much time pondering on that perfect turn of phrase.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even in a bloggy funk, your humor shines through! Mari also has some ideas- they're journaling ideas but I use them for blog posts...http://www.createwritenow.com/journaling-ideas/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen some good blogs end because the authors felt they had to post almost daily. I would have still enjoyed reading them once in a while and wish they had just cut back and not quit. I go days without reading or posting and don't worry about it. I try and catch up a little when I can. Real life gets in the way sometimes and that's not a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you know, your body's probably going to love you for switching out the coffee with walking.

    you're probably better off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That first paragraph had me laughing out loud! I have the same routine as your 'before'. I have a feeling when school gets out next week, my blog will be rather funky because I'll have 2 kids at home and I'm going to try to write at night.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Moon shiny. Moon shiny. I love that phrase. Moon shiny. Wow.

    Okay...ummm...

    How can you possibly be in a blog funk when you can write phrases like that?

    The trick to time management is never, ever sleep. Which means you will never, ever be able to give up coffee. Which means you will never, ever be able to walk slowly.

    Voila!

    See, it's really easy after all.

    Thanks for a fun stop for Alphabe-Thursday!

    Moon shiny. Awwww... I love that!

    Thanks for linking up.

    A+

    ReplyDelete