Thursday, May 12, 2011

don't call me sweetie.

Want to know something that irks the crap out of me? When a grown up person calls me hon or sweetie. Like a cashier or waitress or something. I am sorry, I get that it is a pleasantry or whatever, but really? Honest to Cod, even though I am sure it is innocent on their part, it makes me feel small. Like for what its worth, we are equals pretty much, but it feels like you think you are the grown up and I'm the kid. It's kind of like when someone you don't know touches your baby's hands or face. Just, don't.

Once, I read the most vile thing that listed like 25 things that you DON'T want to know about, like the ratio of pee to water in a public swimming pool, or the percentage of people don't wash their hands after going to the bathroom, or the percentage of people who pick their nose then shake your hand.


I'm not exactly sure how they went about compiling the data, but it was so disgusting it made me more of a germophobe then ever. It was probably a random load of crap, but it made me a feared. Which is why I am like Howie Mandell and don't like people touching my hands.

But I digress.

Anyway back to Hon and Sweetie, I think it's the context too. I mean, if someone is like, commiserating with me, or if it feels like someone is being kind rather than condescending and calls me Sweetie, I actually am not offended at all. It more bugs me when I feel like I'm being talked down to.
I hate being talked down too. It's one of my worst things.

Now to balance out my irritated feeling at being called sweetie by a person that I do not know, I will share something random and cute that has absolutely nothing to do with the two completely different thoughts in this post. Because I am all sorts of scattered today.

Brooke and Alex and I were laying asleep in bed in the morning, and Alex's phone, which is conveniently placed right next to him because Cod forbid is is not within reach at all times, started buzzing. Like someone was calling, but he never has the ringer on. So anyway, it buzzed several times and it was getting a little irritating. I was already awake though, just laying there kind of getting ready to get moving, but Alex and Brooke were still sleeping.

So Brooke opened her big sleepy eyes and looked at me like, really? and so obviously I said, "Somebody keeps calling Daddy."

And she says all matter of factly, "Oh, probably it's just a hobo."

Huh?

2 comments:

  1. Well, chalk this post up to another similarity. I don't like people to call me sweetie or hon either (especially if they don't know me) I also hate it when someone in their 40s calls me ma'am...are you kidding? I'm not even old enough to be their mother. When someone talks down to me, it's generally the last time they have an opportunity to talk to me at all. I tried a new doctor out two summers ago and she talked down to me when I disagreed with her on an issue---never went back. never will.

    A hobo? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely about the context but yeah, i seem to be an older adult who mostly has her act together, keep the honeys and sweeties to yourself please!

    ReplyDelete