Monday, June 4, 2012

we could always talk about the weather

Yow.  Summer is like, right around the corner.  I've been thinking that it's about time to write down some things that I want to do this summer with the kids.  We usually write a list and see what we can get to.  With just a few weeks til the last day of school, we better get on it so I don't hear the dreaded "I'm bored," that I love so much.

It's been rather un-summerlike recently.  So much rain I've hardly been able to mow my lawn for like almost two weeks!  And I hate a sucky looking lawn.  My lawn usually looks like a cozy carpet.  A green cozy carpet that I could roll on.  But lately it looks more like a freaking field and it's driving me crazy.  If it isn't raining, it's damp from having recently rained.  Then my mower gets clogged and I get frustrated.  It's a vicious cycle.

Ah well.  At least it's not sweltering.  Sweltering is difficult for me. I don't think I could ever live in a state where it's hot all of the time, like Florida.  I like warm, but hot is definitely not my favorite.  Hot is sticky, oppressive and sweaty and like, consuming.  When you can feel the thickness of the air, I'm over it.  It takes some serious heat to get me in the pool.  I do love to swim, to wade around and cool off, it's just the actual getting in part that I usually avoid.

And forget about sleeping in a hot stuffy room.  It brings back memories of being little, just tossing and turning in my bed for hours, so sticky and sweaty that even the sheet was unbearable to have on.  I grew up in this little Cape Cod, and when I was younger, my sisters and I shared a room upstairs.  Where it was literally stifling in the summer.  Fans did nothing to touch the heat.  I'm lucky I made it through.  Sheesh mom.  I might go so far as to suggest that my sleeping conditions in the hot summer were like a form of torture.  No air conditioning?!   What were we, animals??  

So, I suppose weather-wise, my favorite is warm with a breeze.  Where could I live that the weather would be like, a sunny low to mid 80's with a breeze pretty much all of the time?  That place may not exist.  Maybe North Carolina.  If I stayed east coast.  Not that I am planning on slipping away from NY in the middle of the night or anything.

Anyway, I'm going to New Mexico soon, and I think it might be hot.  I thought I researched it and the weather was supposed to be in the 80's, but apparently I was wrong.  90's.  Yep.  I'll have to pray that it cools down so I don't die there.  A slow, hot, sweaty death.  I really hope the air conditioning is functioning.  I'm scared.

Also, speaking of New Mexico, my BIL John told me that it is boring and lame, and there is nothing to do there.  I believe he drove through NM once in his life so I am choosing not to believe him.   Have any of you guys been there?  In the ABQ area?  Tell me about some fun stuff to do so that I can prove John wrong.  Proving John wrong is the best thing ever and I need to do it.

OK, laters baby.  Back to my book for now.  I have an hour til I have to go pick up Brooke from school, and I'm trying to finish up.  Can you guess what I am reading?


2 comments:

  1. They're just as hot and humid on the NC coast as we are here on the SC coast. And I do mean HUMID. UGH. But we do get that sea breeze year 'round. Although, in the summer, it blows the HOT, HUMID air around and that does NOT make life better. What about Maine? That's where I'm thinking of going. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been to ABQ but HELLO - Breaking Bad is filmed there, which is pretty much the best tv show of all time. I would just drive around on the streets of ABQ looking for scenes from the show! :) I hope you don't melt.

    ReplyDelete