So, if someone handed me a thousand dollars and said, "Hey, take this money and spend it in any way you want to like, today-ish. No giving it away, no banking it. Go!" This is what I would do, like right now:
1. Pack a few overnight type things and load the kids in the car. Go to gas up, sadly fork over about $75.
2. Stop at Dunkin' Donuts. The kids would request bagels and hot cocoa with whipped cream on top. And we'd get a large coffee for Alex. I may or may not get a "low fat" blueberry muffin which in all actuality is a complete and utter SCAM because it is like 8 Weight Watchers points, but whatever. That would set me back about $15.
3. Take a two hour drive to Old Sturbridge Village in MA. Admission for my family would be about $75.
4. Spend the day at the park. Kids get a little souvenir budget and by the end of the day, between that and park food, I bet we'd have spent about $200. Yow.
5. Stop someplace for an early dinner, hopefully get away with spending less than $100.
6. Head to Pine Acres Camping Resort, which is not far from Sturbridge at all. Rent a lakeside cabin for two nights. Which would end up running about $400.
7. Go to the nearest grocery store and stock up on good camp food for the next two days/nights. Should be able to manage with about $125.
8. After two nights of cabin camping, head home. We'd probably have to make a stop at McD's on the way for some Happy Meals and Frappés for the ride, which is where I am guessing we'd pretty much spend the last of the cash.
Well, hm. Not a bad few days, right? Now I just need to get someone to give me about a thousand bucks...